Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Formal Opening of Candle Lite Park – Feb. 9, 1963


Sixty years ago this month, Candle Lite Park housing development was formally opened. Above is the ad that appeared in the Lorain Journal back on Feb. 9, 1963.

Where was it located? Since I had never heard of it, I assumed it was in Amherst or some neighboring community. Surprisingly, it is out in South Lorain. It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like the model homes were located on E. 41st Street, just west of the street's intersection with Clinton Avenue. Spot checking a home or two on the Lorain County Auditor website shows 1963 as the year constructed, so I think I have the right street.

Interestingly, two of the three model homes shown in the ad are named for businesses in some sort of promotional sponsorship deal: T. N. Molas & Sons, and O'Neil's.

A Google Maps 'drive by' shows a very nice neighborhood. 

I think I found the three model homes. The three homes shown below were all built in 1963, and are on the same side of the street very near Clinton Avenue – two of them right next to each other.

****
I've posted many of these types of ads for model homes and new developments before. 
Besides the one for Bills Bungalow last week, there was a house in Lorain on Park Drive (1931); the Master Model Home on Hawthorne Avenue in Lorain (1931); a house in Sheffield Lake on Dillewood Avenue (1941); new homes on Root Road (1950); an Avon Lake model home (1951); one on West Erie Avenue in Lorain (1954); Knickerbocker Knolls in Sheffield Lake (1954); the House of Harmony in Sheffield Lake (1955); Oberlin Estates (1957); one in the Sherwood Allotment in Lorain (1957); Rock Creek Run with a second post here (1960); Lake Breeze Estates (1960); a home in Lorain on G Street (1961); Laurel Oaks (1961); a house on Colorado Ave. (1962); Kimberly Oaks (1962); Skyline East (1962); Valley View Estates in Vermilion (1962); one in South Lorain (1963); Skyline Park (1963); one in Amherst Township on Oberlin Road (1964); the infamous House of Enchantment on Leavitt Road (1964); and Skyline Park again (1965).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at an inflation calculator today a house that cost about $12,000 back in 1963 should cost about $115,000 in today's money.But as with all things today that is not the case.You would be lucky to get one of those houses for $225,000 brand new.And that is before you get locked into a 30 year mortgage.By the time it's all said and done,one of these houses will put you back well over $300,000.That could be why there is so much crime and drugs going on in the country now.

Rae said...

The house I grew up in was in an area called Crehore Allotment? All the state streets on North side of Colorado. I understand it was an orchard at one time? I think there were still remnants of that growing up. A lot on the corner was all ancient apple trees. Gone now. I think they were built in the early 50's. My Mom was very proud she bought the house herself and paid 7 thousand new w a 30 yr loan (yikes) in about 1953.

Don Hilton said...

The prices...
When my parents bought their first house (1945) the payment was 55 a month and they always said they had no idea where they were going to get that much money.

Anonymous said...

I remember my grandfather laughing at a telemarketer that was trying to get him to refinance his mortgage at the early eighties rates. I don't know what the rates were at that time, but i've heard it was a really bad time. He basically told them where to go as his current payment was $60 a month and he had 3 years left. Times have certainly changed. I paid my mortgage off and I still have to pay $500 a month to live there (taxes & insurance).

Dennis Thompson said...

WOW, that's my neighborhood!I bought my first home there at 1927 E 41st St in 1968. It was just to the west of the model homes. Apparently I had the O'Neil model, a 1000 SF, 3 bedroom slab house, no basement. It cost $14,200 in 1968 and I was not the first owner. I sold it in 1976 for double what I paid. I never heard of Candle Lite Park.

It was a very nice neighborhood. An ATF agent lived next door and regaled me with tales of various raids. We had a neighborhood BBQ on an empty lot several times. If you look on Google maps streetview at 1927 E 41st St you will notice a towering maple tree in the front yard. I planted that! The people after me closed off the garage and used it for a room. I see it is back to being a garage today.

Dennis Thompson said...

Rae, if there was an orchard there it was a looong time ago. Aerial photos from 1924 show that area looking pretty much like it looks today. That's one of the oldest parts of Lorain. Do you remember what corner lot had the apple trees?

Rae said...

Dennis, it was the SE corner of Crehore and New Mexico Aves in 1960's. I read it somewhere I thought, then again to a kid ancient trees maybe not as old as thought LOL Thanks for your interest.

Dennis Thompson said...

Hi Rae,

That part of Lorain was developed much later. It looks like that lot was undeveloped at least as late as 1969 so there very well could have been some legacy trees there. The area north of Crehore was just woods in 1952. We moved to Garfield Blvd in the early 1950s not too far from there.

The earliest mention of the Crehore Allotment in the Lorain Journal archives is 1944 when lots sold for $75!

Rae said...

Dennis, Wow 75! Used to play in the "woods" behind my friend's house on Crehore. Catching tadpoles and crayfish in a low spot. Looking back there was a lot of undeveloped land. When walking to Longfellow, Randall ended and still does I think at Nebraska we would cut through to Missouri. The housing allotment there now wasn't, and neither was Drug Mart. Continued through the woods to the tracks and on to Longfellow. A daily adventure. Thank you for your research!