Monday, March 8, 2021

Enchanting No More

 


Do you remember the House of Enchantment?

I wrote about it back here. It was a 1964 model home located on Leavitt Road that, according to the Ohio Fuel Gas Company which sponsored it, was “the pattern for modern, gracious living.” 

The less-than-enchanting Lorain County Auditor photo
According to a newspaper ad published at the time of its unveiling, “The spacious rooms, year ‘round air conditioning, labor-saving gas kitchen and laundry, unique decorations, and new ideas make this a house to remember.”

Well, at least one of my readers remembered it from my 2014 blog post. 

About a week ago, I received an email from a reader named Scott, who wrote, "I thought I would let you know that the "House of Enchantment, also known as 5109 Leavitt Road in Lorain, has been bulldozed.

"I remember you did a little article on it a few years back. It was built by the local developer Clem Rice in the early '60s with newer advanced features of the day. I guess the "Shops on 58" plaza on that side of the road bought the land to either make more shops to go to and spend money, or to make a parking lot/driveway.

"The house was run down and empty anyway, but I always remembered the "House of Enchantment" from your blog every time I drove by it. I bet it was really something when it was brand new. Now it's nothing but memories.

Here’s how the house looked back in 2014. It sure was a cozy setting with all those trees.

And here’s the disenchanting “now” shot from Friday. Just call it Stumpville.

****
When Scott told me that the house had been demolished, I headed over there late that day to grab my customary 'steaming rubble' shot. Although the house had already been taken down and plowed under, the cool retro barbecue pit was still standing in the rear of the property.
There was also the mailbox – complete with unopened 5109 Leavitt Road mail in it (I peeked) – ripe for the taking.

But the barbecue and mail box were both down on my last visit a few days later. So nobody will be grilling a thick, juicy steak at 5109 Leavitt Road any time in the near future. 
I guess anyone who wants beef for dinner is going to have to go next door to Charley’s Philly Steaks.
Thanks to Scott for the heads-up about the demolition.

3 comments:

Buster said...

You are known for your "steaming rubble" shots.

Anonymous said...

I can just visualize a brand new 1964 model auto in that driveway when the house was built......Maybe a '64 Impala 2 dr hardtop..Or a '64 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr ht...What about a brand new '64 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. I wonder who the original owners were that moved in when it was new?I bet they were a young couple full of life and ready to take on the world...Then they probably got a job transfer or promotion a few years later and had to move...Then the 2nd owners were equally excited about this home of the future and maybe lived there for 10 or 15 years.Then then they too had to move for one reason or another.Then probably a few more residents lived and moved at this location and it was getting run down more and more each time it changed ownership.Then it wound up to now...It was sitting vacant for a few years,a totally run dow slum type house.Now it's finally been torn down,like it never even existed.So sad.....I bet if the original owners were still living there it would've stayed in as good of shape as when it was new.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget how rural it would have been when built. Sweet local in the day. Hand writing was on the wall property was going commercial.

Wasn't there a couple of ranches built there? I remember one with an inground pool, filled in a few years back. Hit a house party there in the early 80's,,wow, almost 40 years ago, yikes!