Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Hart’s Jewelry Easter Ad – March 8, 1956

Regular readers of this blog know that I like to post vintage Hart’s Jewelry advertisements. That’s because there’s almost always something offbeat going on in the ads that's in sharp contrast to the rather staid presentation of jewelry for sale.

There was the Scottish Lassie (1947); the 5 Voice Doll (1950); the mystery blonde (1954); the Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshal Set (1957); and the Giant Panda Doll (1957).

In this Easter-themed Hart’s ad, there’s the promotional incentive of a 27 inch Easter Bunny doll, free with any purchase of $5.95 or more.

It’s an odd looking Easter Bunny. I’m assuming his impressive 27" height includes his ears. But his stiff, rectangular legs (with no feet) appear to have been flattened by a steamroller. And I don’t see any straps making him a possible dance partner a la Lanky Long.
Anyway, I searched online to locate one of these rascals, and this is the closest thing I could find. (Hey, I think I saw someone in Dollar General recently wearing pajama bottoms similar to that.)
But leave it to shopping mega-giant Amazon to sell a pretty similar “Large Easter Rabbit Celluloid Plastic Doll Face Mask” so you can make your own.
Or if you prefer an Easter Monkey, you could make that instead.

4 comments:

Buster said...

If I saw that thing hopping down the bunny trail, I'd hippedy-hop my way out of there in a hurry.

Dan Brady said...

I think it’d be lurching along, stiff-leggedly like Frankenstein’s monster, rather than hopping!

Buster said...

This all begs the question of why people my age (72) were gifted such gruesome creatures to cuddle (in 1956, that is) rather than any of the adorable bunnies that could have been provided. I don't remember this particular specimen, but I did encounter some of the other ones you have featured - not to mention the horrible Halloween costumes we had to wear, e.g., Bizarro Bugs Bunny.

Unknown said...

Things haven't changed. Today, advertisers make cartoon pets out of dangerous real-world critters, like bees, bears, dinosaurs, alligators, crocodiles, foxes, coyotes... Why is it they can't use puppies, goldfish, kittens, parakeets or other cute pets instead of ugly, dangerous ones?