Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Lenten Fish Fry Ads – Feb. 19th, 1953

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of the solemn season of Lent.

Seventy years ago, Lent was roughly on the same schedule, with Ash Wednesday falling on February 18th, 1953. Consequently, the Lorain Journal was full of restaurant ads promoting their particular fish fry or Lenten specials on the very next day. 

Here's a sample of ads that ran in the paper on Thursday, Feb. 19th. First up is one for Lorain Diner, located west of town on West Lake Road. Today that stretch of U.S. Route 6 is known as West Erie Avenue.

I did several posts about Lorain Diner. The building is still out there today, trapped on an access road overlooking the relocated highway.

Next up, are a pair of eateries on Broadway: Stone's Grill at 818 Broadway, and Showboat nearby at Broadway & 8th Street. Both of these restaurants have been discussed on this blog. I like the fun fish graphic in the Stone's ad.
Note how the relatively new post-war craze – pizza – was served nightly at Showboat. And Stone's Famous Fish Fry featuring Lake Erie Pike sounds pretty good.

Just a little off Broadway at 3001 Elyria Avenue was the Hollywood Lounge, which was serving up its own Fish Fry. (I wrote about the opening of the Hollywood Bar back here.)
Lastly, we have an ad for a well-known restaurant east of Lorain out in Sheffield Lake: Vian's Barbecue (subject of a multi-post blog series back here). 
Vian's had its Fish Fry every Wednesday and Friday. Note it advertised pizza as well.
Today, Lorain's American Slovak Club has the most well-known fish fry every Friday – not just during Lent. 
A quick look at the online menu shows that things have changed a little over the years; you can't buy it by the pound (which we used to do) and you can't order take out over the phone (which we used to do as well).


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never did like fish.Or any type of seafood for that matter.So I don't think I'll be celebrating Lent.

Anonymous said...

Lake Erie Perch at a Lorain fish fry is, in my opinion, one of the greatest foods known to the human race. Whenever I come back to Lorain for a visit, I try to make my stay spread out over two Fridays just so I can experience two fish fries. My family attended St. Lad’s in South Lorain, and some of my earliest memories are of the incredible fish at St. Lad’s Club on Clinton. I believe they’re still open, and it’s good to see that American Slovak Home is still booming. It’s sad to see all the church clubs and social organizations that, along with their fish fries, are only a memory. If you live in Lorain, are are ever back for a visit, support your local fish fry! It’s the best food on the planet!
Charlie Marko
Los Angeles, CA

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with Charlie. Whenever I'm home I try to make sure I get an Oh-Boy, Yala's and if it's a Friday, perch.
Todd Nashville
PS my favorite was Imperial Cafe on Elyria Ave. for a fish fry.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

The best perch in Lorain was caught and cleaned by my Grandfather, and fried just so by my Ma.

LHS Blazer Man said...

In the 1960s & 70s, our family got Lake Erie perch dinners every Friday from the Knights of Columbus hall on Oberlin Avenue.

Today, the best perch in Lorain is to be found at the American Slovenian Hall on Broadway. And you can go bowling there after dinner, (which was not an option at K of C.)

Anonymous said...

It's weird Dan,that alot of your posts are from people who no longer live in Lorain.I wonder why they all moved away if they love Lorain and the surrounding areas so much?It can't be jobs as the remaining people who do live there still have jobs and seem to be able to make a go at it.