Friday, February 10, 2023

Kellogg’s Sugar Frosted Flakes Ad – Feb. 19, 1953

Seventy years ago this month, Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes was just being advertised as a new cereal in the Lorain Journal. Above is the ad that ran in the paper on Feb. 19, 1953.

What's interesting about the ad is that Kellogg's was basically staging a tryout to see who would secure a place on the Sugar Frosted Flakes box as its mascot: Tony the Tiger (and son) or Katy the Kangaroo. It would seem that Tony had the advantage, since the ad copy was already stressing the clever G-r-r-reat tagline.

Anyway, the ad directed the Journal reader to "ask your grocer for a free sample," and then to "get ready to buy whole box featuring Tony, the tiger, or Katy, the kangaroo."

Obviously, Tony won the gig and Katy hopped right out of the picture.

****

I've written a lot about cereal on this blog. There have been several posts dedicated to Kellogg's and one post specifically about Tony, which included a Journal ad that appeared a month after the one shown above.

I still start my day with a bowl of cereal. Currently I'm working on a box of Rice Krispies, as opposed to my normal geezer diet of Spoon Sized Shredded Wheat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm eating Cap'n Crunch's Crunch Berries as I reply to this post.Any time of the day is a good time for cereal.Frosted Flakes are also on my menu later in the week.At night time of course.

Anonymous said...

Tough to beat Tony Tiger for my midnight snack Todd

Don Hilton said...

Had to laugh about the geezer diet comment...

When I was a kid, ruining my brand-new teeth with all kinds of sugar-laden cereal in a pre-fluoride world, I used to feel sorry for my dad chomping away on his shredded wheat (the full-sized ones, back then).

Now that I'm a geezer, my go-to is, of course, shredded wheat, but the little ones. Dad ate them with just milk. I *have* to add a spoonful of sugar, more as a nod to Mary Poppins as anything else (a lie I tell myself).

I used to love Frosted Flakes but lost my taste for them when then made the flakes thinner and less substantial. I don't know exactly when that happened, but it happened, nonetheless.