Monday, February 6, 2023

Business & Industrial Review Page – Feb. 5, 1973

Just like it's fun to look at the movies and restaurants on the entertainment pages of old Lorain Journals, it's the same (for me at least) to examine these "Lorain County Business and Industrial Review" pages. The 'articles' found on these pages (written as part of a package deal when an ad was purchased) provide a snapshot of the profiled companies.

This page, which ran in the Journal on Feb. 5, 1973, contains several old favorites, businesses that many of us remember: Januzzi's; Cliff Nolan's Genie Door (not yet at his familiar location by City Hall); Tudy's; Pecora and Son Sunoco on East Erie; and Brotherton Disposal (with their clever "Our Business is Picking Up" slogan; and Bobel's Business Products (their daughter Jane was in my design classes at Ohio State, and still runs a thriving design company today).

Of course, one of my favorite restaurants – The Pit – is on the page as well, one of the few surviving businesses fifty years later.

****

A variety of reasons conspire to make traditional, small family businesses less likely to exist today. Competition is fierce, and the reluctance of family members to keeping longtime companies going isn't surprising, when you consider you can buy just about anything online today. Convenience is the key today, and fewer people seem to want to drive anywhere to make a purchase – even when it comes to shoes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take a 5.75% return on a CD. They are probably no more than 1% nowadays. Elyria Concrete Step is still around. I recently purchased some steps from them for the first time in my 62 years living here and I must say they are a good company to work with.

Don Hilton said...

Elyria Steps... Bought a set from them for a house in Berea.

Januzzi's... Bought my best-fitting shoes ever, there. Still Have them.

The guy at the lower left... Did he look like that?

Woman's rights... Some things never seem to change.

Anonymous said...

Loved the introduction of "Pro-Keds" in the Januzzi ad. No more red ball jets from K-Mart, only Converse, Addidas and Pro-Keds in colors will do. I can still remember getting a pair of green suede converse in 1972 to match my green St. Mary's basketball uniform. Todd

Anonymous said...

I found it hard to believe, that as late as 1973, some men still held those beliefs about women's role in society. I would have loved to "serve" that Okie from Muskogee------on a platter!

Anonymous said...

I see Pecora's was going strong till he got railroaded and went to prison.Too bad.

Anonymous said...

About the only business still open is The Pit like you stated Dan.And the Elyria Concrete and Step Co.The rest are all nothing but memories.Like Elvis used to sing: "Memories,pressed between the pages of my mind."

Virginia/Ginny Rusine Gancar said...

I hear the store my parents owned (Rusine’s Book Store) at 822 Broadway is being remodeled into a restaurant. I wish it well. Supposedly, the building was once a funeral home. My siblings and I recall many memories of downtown Lorain, which was once a vibrant shopping area!

As I frequently read the posts here, my other family members and I, continue to search for any relatives of Mary Rufo of Lorain’s famous Lusca’s Pizza, on Broadway during the 1950’s to 1980’s (?). We reminisce of the pizza and long for the recipe. A cousin or other relative has posted here anonymously that they have the dough recipe and I’m hoping he/she sees my post and is willing to share the recipe. My family would be so appreciative!