Monday, January 30, 2023

Restaurant & Movie Ads – Jan. 15, 1953

Here's the kind of page from the Lorain Journal of the 1950s that's a lot of fun to look at. It's the January 15, 1953 entertainment page of 70 years ago, with something for everyone.

I know I've been doing this blog for a long time, because I've researched and written about just about every restaurant or bar mentioned on this page, including Showboat, Lorain Diner, Vian's Barbecue, Gartner's Inn, and Stone's Grills

There are also indications of the booming economy at that time, with Help Wanted ads for Fruehauf and Thew Shovel.

There's also a large ad for the Brand Names Foundation featuring what I believe is an illustration of a cocker spaniel (remember, I'm a cat person).

I'll leave you to peruse the movie ads. There's some zany fare in there, including Bonzo Goes to College (at the Ohio), and Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (at the Dreamland) with a comedy team – Mitchell & Petrillo – that's an unapologetic clone of Martin and Lewis!

4 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I have actually seen BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA (On tv; this was two years before my time), and the film was an insult to Mr. Lugosi, gorillas regardless of location, and the very concept of meeting someone.
You're right, Dan, these entertainment pages from years past are really cool.
Stay warm, y'all!

Anonymous said...

I see the old Koscho's bar had a fish fry going on every Friday.They used to have a little 5 and 10 cent type store next to it.I used to go there as a youngster.They are long since gone now,nothing but Section 8 type slum renters live at that old complex now.Garbage and junk cars litter the parking lot.

Harrison Baumbaugh said...

I recall seeing STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER at the Tivoli theater at that time. Great music story of John P Sousa with Clifton Webb .Bought the lp and still have it. Thanks again for the memory Dan...HARRISON

Boilerplant said...

Remember in 1976 looking for work and went to Thew Shovel. They had the employment window boarded up and they were working on moving down South.