Friday, January 13, 2023

Reddy for the New Year – 1963 & 1973

You might have been shocked that I hadn't posted any vintage Ohio Edison ads featuring our old pal Reddy Kilowatt around Christmas, wearing a Santa cap or pushing electrical gifts. Well, that's because the only ad I could find from Christmas 1962 wasn't exactly crackling with holiday cheer.

Here's the ad that ran in the Journal on Christmas Eve 1962. Reddy's there, but the focus is on the smartly dressed woman adjusting the thermostat (no doubt turning it up).

Reddy would be happy to know that my condo has a few of those baseboard units, in addition to my electric heat pump. 

A few weeks later, Reddy made another cameo appearance in an Ohio Edison sponsored ad. This one ran in the Journal on January 8, 1963.
The ad seems to be designed to evoke feelings of nostalgia. Rather than feature a young, hip mother, a grandmotherly type is shown cooking on her electric range. Meanwhile, the granddaughter attempts to keep a tray of food away from the hungry family dog. Perhaps the goal of the ad is to win over the skeptical older consumer.
Fast forward to January 1973, and Reddy was well on his way of losing his power as an advertising mascot, with very few appearances in ads. But he did kick off the New Year with this simple ad, which appeared in the Journal back on January 15, 1973.
****
Reddy would be pleased that recently, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission is considering taking regulatory action regarding the health hazards posed by gas stoves. Here's the story.




4 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Sadly, you can't char a weenie over an electric burner.

Don Hilton said...

"(no doubt turning it up)"

Okay, so Daniel, you made me laugh like h3ll this morning. Thanks!

And here, I was thinking you had lost your love for Reddy...

When we redid our kitchen, I had them put in a hookup for both types of stoves. I was raised with gas, my sweetheart, electric. I wasn't sure what she'd pick. It was gas, surprisingly.

I hope she didn't do it in hopes that I would help with the cooking, 'cause it sure didn't work out that way!

Oh, and in our house, I am the one who turns up the thermostat, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan - I’m a fan of the car auctions on TV and the Mecum auction going on this week in Kissimmee FL features “road art” in addition to automobiles. Guess who popped up in all his neon glory? Good ole Reddy. He looks great as a neon sign! I think he’d look good in your condo. Todd

Dan Brady said...

Hi Todd, I've seen photos of some of those huge neon Reddy signs, and you're right– they look great! I'd be afraid to install one in my condo, though, I might have some of the older Ohio Edison customers knocking on my door, trying to pay their electric bill in person.