Monday, January 2, 2023

Journal Front Page – January 1, 1963

 

Sixty years ago, this was the front page of the January 1, 1963 Lorain Journal. There's a lot going on, both around the world and right here in Lorain County, and how all of it is covered is interesting. 

The large headline refers to the ongoing crisis in the Congo. It's complicated (I took a peek at a Wiki page about it) and I think it would be unlikely today that the Journal would allot so much of its front page to something going on in that part of the world. People in the U. S. just don't seem to be that interested in another country's internal problems. Similarly, the war between India and China is big news, but I'm not sure just how much coverage it would get today.

Other news items: another victim of the Boston Strangler; a three-car collision on Lorain's icy west side roads; a terrible winter storm with below zero temperatures that continued to hammer the Northeast; a wedding performed by Mayor Mathna; and a relatively low traffic death toll for the holiday.

There's also a nice photo of some Lorainites celebrating New Year's Eve at Oak Hills Country Club and of course, the much-missed (by me) "Today's Chuckle."

****

Next, the blog will take some baby steps in the direction of all those 'first babies.'

5 comments:

Don Hilton said...

I looked up that Edward Lameka guy who's swimming in the icy waters.

I see articles on him in different papers in 1960 and 1963.

No thanks.

I don't even like cool showers!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Our current apartment has a wee tiny water heater, so the last half of a shower is generally cold. At the time of this front page, I I would have been taking a nice warm bath in a big claw foot tub... good times!

Don Hilton said...

There's a reason we were told to "take a cold shower" when we got all heated up 'cause in a *truly* cold shower the only thing you can't think of is getting out!

Dan Brady said...

During my last stint in the Overlook Apartments about four years ago, a few times we didn't have any hot water at all because of problems with the boiler or something. I had to learn how to take an ice cold shower; like they say, you can get used to anything eventually but it was pure misery.

Anonymous said...

I'd just stink.