Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Sheffield Lake Model Home Ad – August 1941

I haven’t done one of these in a while – in which I post an old model home ad and then go out and see what it looks like today. So here’s a new one for your viewing enjoyment.

In this case, the ad ran in the Lorain Journal on August 9, 1941. The house in the ad (located on Dillewood Avenue in Sheffield Lake) wasn’t for sale, but the builder was offering to duplicate it exactly.

And that he did. There are two homes on Dillewood today that look pretty much like the one in the ad.

One of them – on the east side of the street – is listed on the Lorain County Auditor website as being built in 1900. That means that the Auditor’s office doesn’t know when it was built.

Here is the house. It’s one of the first ones you see as you proceed south on Dillewood.

And here's the second house, which is located a little bit further down the street on the west side. (Photo courtesy of the Lorain County Auditor’s website.)

Here’s a Google Maps view of the second house (below). I like how the owners were home, watching their house being photographed! (At least it wasn’t me with the camera this time!)
At first I thought that the second house may be the one in the ad, because the wires behind the house are exactly in the same spot. But the Auditor’s website says it was built in 1946.

So I guess I’m going to have to go with House #1 because of the scalloped (why am I suddenly hungry?) trim, which matches the house in the ad. Plus the shadows on the front door seem to match the house in the ad better too.

In case you’re wondering, I did drive down Dillewood to make sure there weren’t any other architectural clones.

1 comment:

greenshirt said...

its amazing, I just bought my second house and my fees were more than the entire cost of that house.