Friday, September 23, 2022

Golden Crescent Guide to Dining and Dancing: Elberta Inn

Well, it's the weekend at last – and many of you might be thinking about eating out.

That's the cue for me to post yet another sample of the Journal's regular advertising feature called the Golden Crescent Guide to Dining and Dancing. It would include a review of a restaurant and a photo, followed by a series of smaller ads for other eating places.

In this case, the spotlight restaurant was the Elberta Inn in Vermilion, a favorite topic on this blog. The article below appeared in the paper on September 1, 1972.

Elberta Inn was featured on another Golden Crescent Guide back here, a few years earlier and with a different photo.

Elsewhere on the page, we see ads for the Village Inn (formerly Ponderosa Pines), Rinellos's Italian Villa on Colorado Avenue (a reader had asked me about this place a few months ago), Amber Oaks and Dover Chalet.

Here's a vintage postcard of Dover Chalet, currently on eBay.

And here's a modern view of the former Dover Chalet property in Westlake at 24945 Detroit Road.

I often wish that I liked wine. It's universally popular and provides a lot of enjoyment for those who can appreciate the different varieties. 
But my aging teeth can't endure wine any more. The enamel on my teeth is pretty much a faded memory and my choppers ache for days after indulging too much. This doesn't keep me from going to wineries, however. I had a great time this summer during a visit to Firelands Winery in Sandusky with some friends. But I was probably one of the few people that night enjoying a cocktail instead of the house specialties.

1 comment:

Dennis Thompson said...

One of my Dad's favorite places for a fine dinner was the old Miller's Country Place on Detroit. I remember I had a rabbit dinner there when I was young. It's now the Veranda. Their history page shows it opened in 1919. That might be the record for a Lorain area restaurant!

https://www.verandabistrobar.com/