Friday, July 20, 2012

Tiller's Treasures: Spanky's Mug

It's been a little while since I featured items from Jack Tiller's vast collection, so here's one that should look familiar to local Baby Boomers: a Spanky's night club mug.

I really don't have any history or timeline of the former popular night club out in North Ridgeville. All I remember is that it was the place to go for disco dancing whenever I was home from Ohio State in the late 1970s. (In Columbus, the Dixie Electric Company was the disco of choice; if you're interested, here's a link to a great reminisce by another blogger about that place.)

The name "Spanky" still makes me think of the chubby leader of the Little Rascals, since those short comedies were a staple on Cleveland television in the 1960s. Now a whole generation has grown up without ever seeing those shows on TV and thus have probably never heard of Spanky McFarland.

Anyway, here's a Spankys newspaper ad from August 31, 1979. Note local favorite Fayrewether was playing there the following week.


Fayrewether also performed at my Admiral King High School Class of 1977 Prom to Dawn.

Although I barely remember this, Spanky's later became Cadillac Beach.

Finally, here's some YouTube video showing Spanky's after it was demolished.



No comments: