Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lake Shore Electric Railway Then and Now Part 2

Here is another vintage photo courtesy of the Lake Shore Electric Railway book. The caption reads, "This picture was taken on Route 2, east of Vermilion, at Elberta Beach stop No. 127. A very dangerous crossing with the Nickel Plate Railroad main line seen in the foreground with the LSE track behind it." The caption then went on to mention that a very large highway overpass was at the scene today.

Once again, I had to scratch my head and think. Route 2? Then I remembered that before the limited access Route 2 was constructed, it had followed Route 6 along the lakefront. And the reference to a highway overpass finally make me realize just where this was.

Here is the “now” shot.

And here is the location, courtesy of Bing Maps.

The overpass going over the railroad tracks was rebuilt sometime in the last 10 or 20 years, so it is probably the second span built to eliminate the dangerous crossing there. I'm not sure when the first one was built, but the next time I'm at the Ritter Public Library in Vermilion, I'll see if I can find out. I'm guessing it was the 1920's.

It's hard to believe the “then and now" photos are of the same area. The rustic nature of the older photo makes it look like it's out in the middle of nowhere.

No comments: