Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Protecting Inscription Rock at Kelley's Island – August 18, 1967

Have you ever been to Kelley's Island?

I think it's sometimes overshadowed as a Lake Erie islands destination by Put-in-Bay. My parents took my siblings and me there when we were kids, to see the Glacial Grooves. I'm assuming we saw Inscription Rock during the same visit, since my parents were always interested in history.

Inscription Rock has more than 100 native petroglyphs carved into its limestone surface.

Here's a vintage postcard of Inscription Rock, postmarked 1911.

(Speaking of inscriptions, the one on the back of the postcard, written by Ralph R. White to Miss Pauline Pownall, notes, "The island is beautiful now and it seemed like coming back to another world. Notice the Indian hieroglyphics on the inscription rock. A crowd of us are going to Toledo Sunday on the "Arrow." The trip on the lake is great.")

Here's another postcard of Inscription Rock.
Due to its proximity to Lake Erie and its harsh waves and winds, there was concern about the preservation of Inscription Rock. Thus, in August 1967, steps were taken to protect it from further erosion with the construction of shelter over it, as noted in this article that ran in the Journal on August 18, 1967. The article also provides a nice history of the rock through the decades, noting that young lovers often added their own initials to the surface of it, while kids played 'king of the mountain' on it.

Of course, a protective roof held up by a distractingly geometric structure sort of wrecks the natural beauty of the scene, as this newer postcard  demonstrates. Oh well. I'm surprised kids don't play 'king of the mountain' on the roof!
I think it's time for a redesigned all-season enclosed structure that really protects the rock and makes it accessible to visitors and tourists. It could add to the beauty of the scene, and ideally tell its story better, perhaps with other displays. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw inscriptions on a fairly regular basis in my time in the Great Southwest.

It always makes me smile to think of people, so long ago, scraping their graffiti into a rock. Expects tend to assign meaning to such things, but I always figured it was a bunch of old-time J.D.s who probably got yelled at by their elders.

I can hear it now: "Why do you idiots have to ruin everything?"

Col. Matt Nahorn said...

Sadly, it has been terribly worn over the years and the marking are nearly unrecognizable…almost a flat surface now, as I remember it when I visited some years back.