Monday, August 5, 2024

Pick-N-Pay Ad – August 4, 1954

Have you had a chance to enjoy some of the fresh local produce available? Our close proximity to so many fruit and vegetable stands is one of the joys of living in Lorain County.

I've enjoyed some excellent Fenik's Sweet Corn a few times – most recently yesterday – as well as some of their tomatoes, which I use in BT Sandwiches (hold the lettuce). I picked up a melon there on Sunday too. It's funny, but although my parents loved watermelons (with salt sprinkled on it), I can take them or leave them.

I had some really great peaches from Bergman Orchards out on Route 53 near Port Clinton. I also picked up a fantastic melon there that I hadn't had before. I think it was a Little Sweetie. Boy, was it good. I wish it had been bigger, but that would have defeated the whole point of it being small and loaded with flavor!

With all of the stands selling melons these days, I though it was odd to see them as the focal point of this Pick-N-Pay ad that ran in the Lorain Journal back on August 4, 1954. But I guess supermarkets (which were still in their relative post-war infancy back then) hadn't latched onto the 'buy local' marketing gimmick yet.

Hey, I like the idea of serving a scoop of ice cream right in the middle of a melon half!

I guess the Coit brand was pretty well known. Here's a vintage label.
Elsewhere in the ad, note the Western clip art, especially the cowgirl admiring the Chuck Roast. It was all a tie-in with the upcoming Gala Western Horse Parade at the O'Neil-Sheffield Center. The parade was the kickoff event for the All Western Horse Show to be held at the Lorain County Speedway that weekend. The article below from the Lorain Journal of August 7, 1954 explains.

5 comments:

Don Hilton said...

1954 was still fairly firmly planted in the "seasonal fruits and vegetables" stage. Back when us folks in colder climes couldn't get a decent apple or tomato in the wintertime.

I love 'loupes but can't eat them because they raise heck with my guts.

Also...
Growing up in Pennsyltucky I never saw ice-cream served in a melon.

Was it a common Ah-Hi-Ya treat?

Buster said...

I dislike cantaloupes and am indifferent to watermelons. My wife gets excited when the melon season arrives, but I don't care. Then again, I do like the fresh corn and beans of the summertime.

Way back when, most of my vegetable intake came from cans. I noted the ad for canned peas, which may have been the least palatable veggie of all time.

Ice cream with melon is a new one for me, too.

Wendy said...

Oh, we also took a drive to Port Clinton a few days ago and bought some peaches from Bergman's - I’m eating one now! Wish we’d picked up a melon too - I feel less guilt eating fruit with ice cream and you reminded me it’s a delicious combination. Aren’t we fortunate have so many farm stands with fresh fruit and vegetables in our region of the country?

Buster, I agree canned peas are the worst! We have family stories about the stand-offs between my dad and us kids eating our peas, including the time a plate of peas ended up in the bathtub with my little brother…

-Alan D Hopewell said...

My mom loved melons, especially cantaloupe, but the gene didn't pass down to me.
I like peas, green beans, and limas, but I generally buy them frozen instead of canned, because our can opener has issues.
I love things made with corn and tomatoes 4-X, cornbread and barbecue sauce, but I don't like either one in their natural states.

Buster said...

Wendy - If I remember correctly, some canned peas were more objectionable than others. The ones my parents served were innocuous, but my grandparent set out the mushy kind that looked like something the cat brought up.

Alan - I am the opposite. I'm OK with the natural variety of tomatoes, but am notorious in my family for my aversion to ketchup. (I do love cornbread, though!)