Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Oberlin College Razes Dascomb Cottage – August 1954

Working in Oberlin for the past two and a half years has provided me an enjoyable commute, one that is far more pleasurable than the drive to Cleveland on I-90 that I endured for decades.

I take Baumhart Road for most of my drive south, occasionally using Quarry Road as an alternate. Both of them get me to State Route 511, where I turn and head east.

Most of the last two years, I've followed State Route 511 right into town, where it becomes W. Lorain Street and skirts the northern side of Tappan Square. But earlier this year, construction and detours caused me to take the fork in the road where the Brickyard Bar & Grill is located, and follow W. College Street into town. This way takes me past the south side of Tappan Square. I like this way better – the road is quieter, with less commercial development, and the private homes are very eclectic and more interesting to look at. As a result, I continue to take this way to work even though the original reason for the rerouting no longer applies.

One of the Oberlin College landmarks I pass each day is the Dascomb Residence Hall, where many first year student live. When I see it, I can't help but think of my own dormitory (Siebert Hall) at Ohio State, where I lived more than three years. (Yes, college was the best seven years of my life! Just joking.)

Anyway, I had no idea that the current Dascomb Residence Hall replaced an earlier same-named version. Here's a vintage postcard of Dascomb Cottage, postmarked 1920.

Later it was enlarged by connecting it to Tenney Cottage next door. (The postcard captions are confusing and I'm not 100% sure which is which. But after being connected, the whole complex became known as Dascomb Cottage.)

But in August 1954, it was time to go. The article below, which appeared in the Lorain Journal on August 10, 1954, explains.
Today, Dascomb Residence Hall occupies the former site of the cottage.

3 comments:

Don Hilton said...

The Dascomb family had more to in Lorain County than some silly, old college.

James Dascomb's brother, the Deacon Stephen James was instrumental in the development of Brownhelm Township.

Their nephew, William Francis Lockwood, was Lorain County's prosecuting attorney (1844, 1846) and probate judge (1854) before appointment as a federal judge of the Nebraska Territory (1861). After that, he returned to be elected as common pleas judge of Lucas County, endorsed by both political parties! Lockwood died in 1901, at 78 years old.

In later years, he lived in Sandusky and spent his summer at Put-in-Bay in a cottage (now gone) just to the northeast of where the Perry Monument was placed.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

When I was in the Special Opportunities Program in the summer of '68, Dascomb Hall was where we had our meals; we actually lived in Burton Hall.

Don Hilton said...

Alan....
I do believe Dascomb's been out of the food racket for a decade, or so. Nowadays, from Burton, all you need to do is cross Professor Street for the Grill at Stevenson (Stevie). It looks nicer, and the food sounds better, but college cafeteria food... it's sort of timeless.! https://www.oberlin.edu/stevenson-dining-hall