Wednesday, December 13, 2023

It's a Candy Cane World at Victory Park – 1966 & 1968

A 2011 view

One of the Holy Grails (or white whales, if you prefer) that I've been on the hunt for on this blog is any information about the Big V sculpture in the park at West Erie Avenue and Fifth Street in Lorain. Who put it there and when? Nobody knows.

The last time I put out the word for help was back in 2018 on this post. And back on this 2011 post, I compared my hunt for the Big V to the treasure-seekers' quest to find the Big W in the movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Anyway, when old issues of the Lorain Journal finally became available online, with a search capability, I thought for sure that I could solve my mystery. But although I've spent hours plugging an endless variety of words to describe the Big V into the 'Search' box, I've still come up short.

However, I did manage to find a few mentions of the Big V and even a few photos – strangely enough, with a Christmas angle. At some point in the mid-1960s, it became an annual ritual to decorate the Big V so that it resembled two candy canes.

Here's an article from the Thursday, December 15, 1966 Journal explaining how a few women's groups decorated several Lorain city parks – including the one at West Erie and Fifth. (It's not really Victory Park, since there was already one with that name in Lorain, but in recent years it's been called that anyway.)

And here's a photo from the December 23, 1968 Journal.

It's interesting how the Big V in the two photos is quite different from the one that is there today. It's a much more condensed typeface. I know that it was clobbered by a car at some point (maybe even twice) but I can't find any mention of that either in the old issues.
Since I watch a lot of GRIT TV and Westerns on MeTV, I've seen lots of shows with bounty hunters, like Josh Randall (played by Steve McQueen) on Wanted: Dead or Alive. Hmmmm.... is anyone interested in collecting a bounty to help me solve my mystery?

10 comments:

Buster said...

How odd that no one seems to knew the genesis of the V. I notice that the Big V has now been placed on a Big Pedestal, the better to withstand errant drivers. (Not sure what would become of said drivers when they hit the pedestal, although I suppose the V itself was not much better.)

-Alan D Hopewell said...

IIRC, Dan, the original "V" was struck by a car in 1965, possibly early spring, because I seem to remember that snow was involved in the crash . Strange that there's no mention in the Journal.

LHS Blazer Man said...

My guess is that theV commemorates the victories in Worlld War II. So if I were researching its origins, Dan, I would concentrate on the years between 1945 and 1946. I would also check with the American Legion Post which is just up the street on West Erie.

Harrison Baumbaugh said...

Dan I was involved in a car accident around 1980 that resulted in the New V being constructed. I wrote the whole story here before.. I dont have time right now to look it up ,it was a few years ago. I can retell the story here latter today or tomorow if you like.

Anonymous said...

So the "V" was at least struck twice.Once in 1965 and once in 1980..Wonder how many other times it was struck throughout the years?

Harrison Baumbaugh said...

as i lived on the south side of 5th st over the years , only somewhat recall the 1965 accident and newer V accident.I think that 1980 date is wrong, I think it was 1977.It was a June Sunday morning and I left my driveway heading West through the intersection with a green light on my side.In the exact center of the intersection an east bound speeding car hit me rear side of my Corolla,spinning me around and his car hitting the old V,and standing upright on end on the V. I was not hurt at all thank Haven , an older man was driver of other car who lost control was taken to hospital.My car was totaled , no knowledge of other driver,the old V was just about destroyed.A few weeks later a crew was there building the new V, which is standing today.I assumed the other drivers insurance paid for it.I had no contact with anyone and never saw any newspaper story about it.I assumed everyone was asleep that hot Sunday morning.hope this clears the mystery V. It looks good in your recent photos.The old one was a mix of dark cookie dough cement with with small stones and needed some care as I recall.

Dan Brady said...

Hi Harrison,
Thanks for leaving the detailed account of your accident that impacted the Big V. I appreciate it! It also gives me more to work with, research-wise!

Anonymous said...

It seems a little ironic that the V stood for and still stands for all things good in America.Vets winning the war and making America safe for all.And then it was destroyed with the help of a Japanese automobile.And it was a kamakazee ambush style attack car crash at that.

Anonymous said...

Kamakazee should be spelled kamikaze.But the point is well taken.

Harrison Baumbaugh said...

Ha never thought of that Anon.Very perspective.