Monday, December 4, 2023

Gold Circle Christmas Ad – Nov. 1, 1973

Do you have all your Christmas decorations up?

It was a nice fall up here this year, so it looks like most people in the area took advantage of it to decorate the outside of their homes. Woe to those who didn't, because it's been rather unpleasant weather lately.

Anyway, the late great Gold Circle store encouraged everyone to get their decorations early back in early November 1973, when the ad above ran in the Journal on the first of that month. You might recognize some of the items. Since they were made of very hard plastic, they probably have a half-life longer than xenon-124, and will still be used to decorate homes even as the flying cars are passing overhead.

The "Santa and Sled with Reindeer" are pretty easy to find on eBay. A few of the descriptions identified it as an Empire Santa Claus Sleigh Blow Mold.

I wonder if Santa realized he had wandered onto the practice range in the last one?

And here's the instructions. It looks like it came with two reindeer, but everybody decided, "Aw, one is enough."
The ad also shows those ubiquitous light-ups which everybody seems to have. The large, outdoor versions of Santa and the snowman are similar to the smaller ones. Here's the four foot snowman.
And here's another one, doing garage duty. Note the berries on the wreath on these big guys. The small version doesn't have them.

And here's a pair of four-foot Santas with their sacks of white toys. 
As for the little light-ups, the one that I'd never seen before is Tiny Tim. I'm not even sure that I would recognize him if I hadn't seen the ad. (They weren't going to show him with his pre-Scrooge-rehabilation crutch.) Fortunately, his manufacturer anticipated this potential snafu and labeled his pedestal. BTW, he looks like he's been hitting the razzleberry dressing pretty good.

And here's the mini-Santa.
And lastly, the snowman. I didn't have to look online for this guy. I've had him since the 1980s.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember we had a set of those 38 inch tall candles.And I still see a set from time to time at a garage sale or tag sale.We never put ours outside though.We would have them lit up in the house around the Christmas tree.I think my mother still has them in her basement as they haven't been used in decades.I'll have to ask.

Anonymous said...

Any type of Christmas ornament that lights up is the best. There's something about dark snowy nights with little Christmas lights glowing. My favorite is still the bubble night lights.