Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Reddy With Christmas Gift Ideas – 1953

Ad from Nov. 20, 1953 Lorain Journal

Nothing too shocking here on the blog today; just our annual Christmas visit with our old pal Reddy Kilowatt, who's helpfully generating some holiday gift ideas.

As noted on past posts, Reddy was usually willing to shill for electrical gifts from Westinghouse. Indeed, in this ad, it's an all-Westinghouse lineup. Here they are, with their prices in today's inflated dollars: a Food Crafter mixer ($517); a Roaster Oven ($506); Electric Blankets ($459 and $344); and a Pop-Up Toaster ($263).

It's funny how today, we have very different expectations for what we are willing to pay for the same type of items. I have a feeling that the 1953 products were built to last; why else would so many be on eBay today? 

Here's two toasters similar to the one shown in the ad. They're actually quite beautiful. 

I wouldn't say the same thing about my crumb-filled model with a plastic outer body. It's got a mind of its own, sometimes burning something on the lowest setting, other times barely browning something at all on the middle setting. Consequently I eat my toaster pastries raw.

Anyway, the Ohio Edison ad has a nice layout with some interesting typography at the top. (I originally thought that was some errant hair or fuzz on the 'C' in 'Christmas' – but it's part of the letter.)

14 comments:

Rae said...

Re letter C. It could have been an electric cord had the put a plug at the end! Merry Christmas to you and yours! :D

-Alan D Hopewell said...

My Grandma ( eventually my mom) had that exact Westinghouse roaster; I remember the way the kitchen would smell during the holidays, when the roaster and the gas stove would turn out such wonderful stuff.
Dan, vis-a-vis toaster pastries; frosted or unfrosted? Me, I prefer mine nude, generally strawberry, and usually the store brand.

Buster said...

We had that roaster as well, only used during the holidays. Also the same toaster. Today's toasters may be more cheaply made, but they are also more cheaply priced. You can buy a basic model for less than what the Westinghouse cost 70 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I see those old roaster ovens from time to time at tag sales or Jamie's flea market.Those things are huge and take up a lot of space.Where would people store them throughout the year if they only used it once or twice a year?

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Ours stood on a four wheeled stand in the kitchen.

Buster said...

We kept it in the basement - I got the job of hauling it up when needed.

Anonymous said...

How was that portable roaster oven any different than a traditional oven?With the portable roaster you had to store it away somewhere but a full size stove was already in its permanent place in the kitchen.What was the advantage between to two?

Don Hilton said...

Anonymous:

We didn't have one, but a friend's mom used her roaster to make more than one thing at a time. They had a huge family I remember some sort of dead beast in the roaster and some sort of dead beast in the regular oven.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Yep- I remember a turkey in the oven, and a ham in the roaster.

Anonymous said...

That makes sense.We never did have one.And my grandmother,who loved holidays and always cooked never had one either.

Anonymous said...

Dan - If you've been a good boy, maybe Santa will leave this under your tree.

https://oldschoolshirts.com/products/kilowatt-servant-of-the-century

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for the link. That's interesting that a company is selling T-shirts with Reddy's image. But I'm not aware that Reddy has passed into the public domain quite yet.

Rae: I think you're right about the cord. I even went back to make sure I hadn't accidentally removed the plug when I cleaned up the ad in Photoshop.

Alan: I'm afraid I prefer Pop Tarts with frosting – but Kellogg's is pretty chintzy with it. So I buy the 'original' toaster pastry, Toast'em, instead.

Buster said...

Quite right about the need for two ovens on holidays. Also, using the electric roaster for the turkey made it easier to baste the bird and keep an eye on progress.

Anonymous said...

Ours stood on a four wheeled stand in the kitchen also, when it wasn't on sat the plastic AM radio on top with Jimmy Dudley and Bob Neal @ Garfield 1-2323.