Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Halloween at McGarvey’s - 1968

Well, it’s Halloween. And since I’ve spent most of October looking back at 1968, let’s end this month with a Halloween ad for McGarvey’s Restaurant from that year.

The stylish ad for the beloved Vermilion eatery ran in the Lorain Journal on October 18, 1968 – giving the newspaper’s readers plenty of time to plan to attend.

If they did attend, it looks like it was a good time, with a costume contest, as well as dancing music provided by Jim Perrino.

Jim Perrino was very popular locally. You can find many online mentions of the organist's gigs right into the early 1980s, at places such as the Tiffany's Steakhouse & Lounge, and Libra Capri.


****
In case you're wondering why I didn't do a look back at what kind of Halloween costumes the kids were wearing in 1968, there's a good reason: I already did it!

Yup, if you do a blog long enough, you start using up the material.

But in case you are curious about what Lorain trick-or-treaters were wearing in 1968, you can see my blog posts with local Halloween ads from that year for Kmart, Hills, and Giant Tiger.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

My husband and I had our first date at McGarvey's. I had an Irish Whiskey for "dessert" and stole the mug. I'm glad I did. I still use it today, and we've been married for nearly 35 years.