Monday, October 8, 2018

1964 Ohio State University Homecoming Game Program

Saturday was the big Homecoming Game at Ohio State University, my Alma Mater. Gee, it just seems just like yesterday that I was hanging around Siebert Hall, my dormitory. (I wish I was there now.)

Nevertheless, it’s not too late to post these images from the Football Program from the Homecoming Game back on October 24, 1964. The images are courtesy of the Ohio State University Knowledge Bank.

The program’s cover photo is interesting to me, because it shows the original University Hall. The building dates from 1873, but was demolished in 1971. (Click here to read about its history and demolition.)

A souless replica of University Hall – built at the same location as the original – opened in 1976, a year before I made it down to the campus.

Anyway, here are a few ads from that 1964 program. (Note how I included ads for Sinclair gasoline and Howard Johnson's, favorite topics on this blog.)

****
You might be wondering: are any of those businesses still around?
The Howard’s Johnson’s on Dublin-Granville Road is long gone. Here’s a 1962 view courtesy of the Columbus Dispatch.

The Olentangy Inn is history as well. 
The Lincoln Lodge, however, lives on; not as a resort-style hotel, but as the Lincoln Lodge Retirement Residence (below).

****
I’ll be doing some more Ohio State posts in the coming weeks, since the 1968 season ended with the Buckeyes as the national champions.

No comments: