Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Danish Go-Rounds Ad – October 23, 1968

Remember Danish Go-Rounds?

Just as I thought. A lot of you are going, “Huh?”

You see, that’s the curse of getting old. I remember things – in this case a product that came and went – that nobody else does. At least nobody under the age of fifty.

Well, above you see an ad for Kellogg’s Danish Go-Rounds that ran in the Journal on October 23, 1968 – 50 years ago today.

Kellogg’s Danish Go-Rounds were similar to Pop Tarts® in that they were a quick breakfast that you could pop in your toaster. But somehow, the idea of a hot danish that was available whenever you wanted one just didn’t catch on like Pop Tarts. Thus the product was discontinued and faded into obscurity.

My mother brought them home from the grocery store at least once, because I remember breaking it into strips before eating it. But I recall Mom buying Pop Tarts more often. (I still buy Pop Tarts once in a while, although Kellogg’s is getting pretty skimpy on the frosting these days; it’s just a thin smear. I’m more likely to buy Toast’ems, the original toaster pastry, at the dollar store.)

I’m not sure that having a carousel theme in the Danish Go-Rounds newspaper ad made a lot of sense. That probably didn’t help make people hungry.

Strangely enough, a lot of people do remember Danish Go-Rounds and are still upset that they were discontinued. If you don’t believe me, check out the comments on the chowhound.com website.


10 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I remember those, and as I recall, we did try them....they were okay, but we preferred Pop-Tarts, which I still buy.

Anonymous said...

I really wish Danish go rounds were back on the shelves. Me and my sisters preferred them to pop tarts. Bring them back!!

Anonymous said...

These things had it all over pop tarts, way more filling. I too wish they still made them.

Anonymous said...

Wish they still made them. Pop tarts suck

Anonymous said...

I know this may be hard to believe, but my dad invented the proto type for danish go rounds. They were having problems with the equipment tearing the dough. My dad while at home figured it out with tinker toys. my mom still has the aluminum press that was the prototype. Keebler bought us new tinker toys.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm 60yrs old and I Definitely Remember those Delicious Danish Go Rounds too.

Anonymous said...

Yes !!! Because I truly Remember being so happy as a child to get either one of these Absolutely Delicious treats !!

Anonymous said...

I loved the cinnamon Danish Go-Rounds. My Mom bought Pop Tarts for my brothers, and Danish Go-Rounds for me. I would try to unravel it before eating it!! LOL #GoodOleDays

Anonymous said...

I was eating a pop tart this morning and remembered as a kid loving Danish Go rounds. I would be buying them now if the ever came back!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I wish they still made them, too. I really enjoyed them.