Friday, September 13, 2024

Vanilla Koogle Peanut Spread Ad – Sept. 11, 1974

Do you remember Koogle Peanut Butter?

Well, it wasn't technically peanut butter. Its official description was 'peanut spread.' Nevertheless, it was one of the products that came out when I was a kid that we enjoyed – only to see it disappear.

Above is the ad for the vanilla flavor version of the product. The ad ran in the Journal on Sept. 11, 1974.

Vanilla Koogle was really sweet, if I recall – which is why I liked it so much. Plus, vanilla is one of my favorite flavors. There was a chocolate version too that we liked, as well as banana, and cinnamon.

I'm sure you have memories of a product that you liked, only to see it taken off the market due to lack of sales or some other reason.

Another product I loved was Vanilly Crunch, part of Quaker Oats' flanker strategy for the Cap'n Crunch brand. Unlike regular Cap'n Crunch, which is butterscotch flavor and small, square shaped pillows (that are rough on the roof of your mouth), Vanilly Crunch was round, vanilla-flavored puffs. I loved it. And I'm not the only one, because many people besides me have left comments on the Cap'n Crunch Facebook page asking them to bring it back.

In our house, we loved just about anything that the good Cap'n introduced, including Cap'n Crunch's Ship Shake. It was more or less a knock-off of Carnation Instant Breakfast (which I also liked). The initial rollout of Ship Shake included a free shaker mug to mix it up in. I have a few of these mugs today, although the product was scuttled long ago.
I've blogged about other products that people fondly remember, including Kellogg's Danish Go-Rounds and Yes-Yes Cookies.

Be sure to leave a comment about a product that you liked that unfortunately came and went without a trace.




4 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

No Jelly candy bars, chocolate Koogle, Orange Spot pop, Cap'n Crunch's Choco Crunch, Screaming Yellow Zonkers, Skippy Peanut Butter with Real Bacon Bits, Whip N Chill, Shake A Puddin', Great Shakes milkshakes, good stuff!

Ken said...

Those Strawberry (or chocolate) Crunch ice cream bars, which also had the good Cap'n's face on the box.

Buster said...

I actually don't remember any of these products, except for Cap'n Crunch. Oh, and Screaming Yellow Zonkers, which sounded like something out of "Yellow Submarine."

Don Hilton said...

Sorry, Dan, but Koogle = Abomination.
Pure and simple. Against the laws of God and man.
You may not agree, but it's still true!

I miss Creme Savers, the Seven Up Bar, and Slo Poke Caramel Pops.