Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Waiting for a Sign – Part 2

Note Fazio's at the far left end of the shopping center
(Photo courtesy of David Howat)
A 2016 view of the shopping center
In March 2021, the former Westgate Shopping Center in Lorain had been sold again. Would this help or hinder David Howat in his effort to salvage an old Fazio's sign in the shuttered store?
"I had read that the shopping center had been sold," said David in an email to me.  "Your blog highlighted the fact that the old Grant's store was being demolished, so I took a trip over there."
"I stopped by Westgate today to get some pictures, and was lucky enough to be able to talk to the new owner, Yaser Etayem and find out what his plans are for the old place," said David. "The first thing that I did was thank him for doing what he’s doing, but I immediately told him that I’d love to have that old Fazio's sign that’s still in the store.
"He told me that as soon as he gets the keys, he’s going to call me and let me in to get that sign – which totally made my day! Unfortunately, I never heard a word from him and I began to lose hope again."
"In September, I heard about all of the work that was being done on at the shopping center, so I took a drive over to investigate for myself. By luck, the owner was there and I approached him about the sign again.  He told me that I could have it, but he never made any offer as to when I could come get it. 
The months ticked by and soon the year 2022 was almost halfway over – with David still hanging in there.

In June 2022, David noted in an email to me, "It's been a while since I've been in touch, so I wanted to bring you up to date on what's happening. As of today, I still haven't heard anything back from him yet, but I haven't lost hope, and still have faith that I will. 


"I was in Lorain yesterday, so I stopped by for a quick look. As luck would have it, I was able to get a clear view of the sign that I want. 


"Luckily, there happens to be two, but one isn't in the greatest shape. They're not so much a sign as they are decals, but I am still hoping that the owner will allow me to get at least one of them and I'll be very happy!  


"The entrance to the Fazio's store is unboarded, and you can clearly see inside. What a spooky, scary sight! If I can remember correctly, I think that the whole chain closed in 1988 and that store remained vacant ever since.  


Once again, David was beginning to lose hope that he would ever get that sign. Then, in the beginning of December of 2022, he again paid a visit to the shopping center. 


"By luck, Yaser was there, and we had a great conversation," said David. "He was telling me about everything that has had done to the shopping center, and how much money he has already put into the place.  

"The Fazio's store entrance door, which has been boarded up since 1988, had been uncovered and there was access to the store. When I asked him if he would allow me to have the sign, he said, "The door is open, go get the sign!" 
"After years and years of wanting, my weird dream was going to become a reality. I got the cordless saw out and went to work. He even came to help me cut the sign out and the rest is history. I thanked him for his generosity, and we talked briefly in the abandoned store. We had a great talk and I got my sign."
So why did David want the sign in the first place? Oddly enough, he pointed out that his mother didn't even shop there, preferring the Pick n Pay on the east side because it gave Eagle Stamps. But his great aunt and uncle shopped at the Fazio's at Westgate regularly, so that was probably one of the reasons he wanted it. 
David summed up his philosophy very simply. "I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but I am very sentimental and I try to hold onto memories as long as I can. The memories I have – from shopping at Pick n Pay in the 70's with Mom as a little kid, to spending the whole day at Midway Mall – will be things that I will always cherish."
David never gave up. He was rewarded for his patience and faith in the goodness and generosity of others. Today, the framed Fazio's sign occupies a special place on the wall of his home.
Framing by Burning River Boutique in Vermilion, Ohio

Special thanks to David Howat for sharing his story.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very nice piece of Americana.Never to be replicated again.I also like seeing that first parking lot photo.As I could not see a single "foreign" automobile.I saw a Ford Thunderbird,a Cadillac Coupe DeVille.Full size Chevys,full size Ford's.A couple Oldsmobiles,a Pontiac Tempest conv.A Lincoln sedan and a couple of full size station wagons,one looked like a Mercury and I could only see the roof of the other.But nary a foreign make.Nothing like today.As John Milner would say "It was really something!"And another piece of Americana never to be replicated again.

Don Hilton said...

In the time frame of that image, you'd be hard-pressed to find *any* foreign car except, maybe, a VW Bug.

I lived in and bought automobiles throughout that period, when reaching 100,000 miles was a very, very unusual thing and you bought a new car every couple years because it rusted away or tossed a piston through a cylinder wall or warped a head. It was the short-sighted crap cars with crap mileage put out by our great American companies that drove people to non-domestics. Even my dad, who was death on foreign cars bowed to the inevitable after owning a '69 Chevy Impala that nearly made him crazy overheating and blowing radiators.

In the '70s, I had a buddy who owned a Vega that the floor rotted out of in about 18 months and then, a Ford Fairmont. The trunk of -that- car was *factory* badged with "Mercury Fairmont." Saw it with my own eyes.

"Quality is job one." Yeah, sure, let's hear another.

The good, old days weren't aways all that good.

I drive a Chevy, now. And I'm happy to say that it's as good or better that any vehicle I've ever owned. But it sure took them long enough to get there!

Anonymous said...

On down the road from that plaza,at the old Ford plant I see Ford is parking row after row of brand new trucks.These I imagine were built in Avon.And by the looks of it you can have any color you want as long as it is snowball white.I wonder if quality is still job #1?

Anonymous said...

We cherish nostalgic dreams of the past. But is it because things were so much better, or just because we were young then? The youth we will never recapture, no matter how we try. In five hundred years, who will know?

Jay said...

Would love to see pics inside of the store looking so spooky.

Anonymous said...

I’ll be honest and tell you that I wasn’t very comfortable being in there but we didn’t stay too long. All the wiring has been stolen out of there and it was quite scary being in there but it’ll be worth it when it’s done.