Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Betty Brady 1927 – 2023

It is with sadness that I pass along that my mother, Betty Brady, has died at the age of 95. 

Mom had been ill the last few years. A bad fall and a bout with Covid the same week put her into the hospital more than a year and a half ago. A stroke followed, which robbed her of the ability to walk and talk. Worsening dementia made each day a challenge for her.

Yet she remained Mom. She was always excited to see me when I visited her daily at Kingston of Vermilion. Although we couldn't hold a conversation, she listened intently to whatever I was talking about. She communicated mostly by nodding, and using her eyebrows to express surprise or displeasure. 

But despite the stroke, she could cobble together a few words now and then. Many times she surprised me by barking, "Hurry up!" if I wasn't moving fast enough to get an aide or return her to her room. And sometimes, clear out of the blue, she made me fall off my chair by blurting out something perfectly clear like, "You know, I've been thinking..." But best of all, she could still say "I love you too" once in a while.

Mom and I had a nightly ritual at Kingston. Each night after dinner, I would push her in her wheelchair around the building, just for entertainment. Almost every staff member we ran into knew Betty Brady, and they would stop and greet her warmly, which made her very happy. A few of the staff had cute nicknames for her, including "Betty Boop," "Grandma," (which she was), and, most hilariously, "Houdini," because of her ability to mysteriously escape from her bed.

The staff at Kingston of Vermilion has been great. Seeing how much the aides and nurses loved Mom was very comforting to me, and made dealing with her illness much easier. And despite her ill health, Mom still had a social life, interacting (and often hanging out late at night) with the aides who cared for her, and enjoying the company of her floor mates in the dementia wing.

Back in the fall of 2017, when Mom turned 90, I wrote a special tribute to her, which you can find here. It looks back on her life as a member of the Greatest Generation. And Mom's reminisces have been featured many times on this blog, including her memories of Halloween in the 1930s in Lorain, and of the small grocery stores in her neighborhood while growing up on Sixth Street. Then there were Mom's memories of being part of famous magician Harry Blackstone's act when he performed at the Palace Theater in Lorain. And of course, there were my memories of Mom taking care of my siblings and me when we were sick.

You've probably heard the old saying, "A Boy's Best Friend is His Mother." Well, in addition to being the best mother a fella could ever have, Mom really was my best friend. I'm going to miss her terribly.

I'll be taking some time off the blog to handle affairs, and will return soon.

23 comments:

Bob Kovach said...

Dan,
Very,very sorry to hear of your Mom's passing.

Tim Burton said...

So sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and the family.

Rae said...

Sincere sympathy for you and your family at this difficult time.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

My condolences to you and your family, Dan.

Mike M said...

My condolences Dan. You're a great son to visit her each evening. I am sure she very much looked forward to them. Keep all the happy memories close to you and know your love for her was reciprocated.

Anonymous said...

I know you will cherish the many good memories of your mother Dan.The Greatest Generation and the Silent Generation were the best generations ever.My mother passed away in 2019 and was a member of the Silent Generation.And I miss her dearly as I know you will your mother.Godspeed Mrs. Betty Brady.

Mark said...

I'm sorry to hear this, Dan. Sending Condolences to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Your mother was obviously a wonderful person, and the things that made her so great live on in you, Dan. Having lost both my parents over 30 years ago, I can tell you that only time will help heal the
sadness of loss.
With Sympathy,
Charlie Marko

Drew Penfield said...

I'm so very sorry, Dan. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Don Hilton said...

Take care, pal. See you when you get back.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read this, I send prayers from here in south Mississippi to you and your family

Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences on the passing of your mom. She sounds like a wonderful mother. Take care, and we will see you when you return. My Best

Buster said...

Dan - So sorry about the loss of your mother, who must have been a wonderful person. Your note above is a beautiful tribute to her. Requiescat in pace.

Dennis Thompson said...

So sorry, Dan. Not too many children will take that much care of a parent. And like others have mentioned, her dedication and cheerful spirit are very much a part of you.

Anonymous said...

Condolences Dan on your mothers passing. Harrison B

Mike Kozlowski said...

Dan,

I am so very sorry - I met your mom once or twice, and remember her as a kind and gracious lady. You and your family are in our prayers.

Mike

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for all the condolences, prayers and kind words about Mom, everybody. I appreciate it very much, and look forward to being back soon.

Dan

LHS Blazer Man said...

Dan,

I am very sorry to hear that your Mom has died. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Mrkhk said...

I’m so sorry for your loss, Dan. Losing our moms is tough. May your memories sustain you forever.
Marion King

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciated and enjoyed reading this blog on Betty. As her Nurse for the past year, I must say she was a hoot to take care of. In the beginning she gave us a run for our money almost daily. She was always pleasant and even though she was a woman of few words, she always some how got her point across. Betty is truly missed here at Kingston's Memory Care unit. And I must say Dan, it's kind of strange not seeing you walk on the unit daily. Your presence will be missed also. Stop by and say hello sometime. By the way the flowers are beautiful. Thank you from the team. With heart felt condolences!! Michelle

Anonymous said...

Sad to learn of this, Dan.

Sincerely,
Your spy out in Oberlin.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother.

Anonymous said...

Sincere condolences, Dan.

Theresa