Thursday, March 23, 2023

Oak Hills Country Club Ad – March 29, 1963

One of the things you learn when you're a kid is that there are different classes of people – rich, poor and in-between. 

In our block on E. Skyline Drive in Lorain, it was all solid, middle class families. Many of the fathers worked in a factory, either Ford Motor Company, U. S. Steel or BF Goodrich. The homes were all ranches and split levels built about the same time. It was a nice neighborhood (except for the occasional rock fights).

But no one was rich. The only example of the wealthy was the Davidsons, whose property bordered almost the whole length of the north side of E. Skyline Drive. We could see their mansion between the trees, and hear their peacocks in the early morning. It wasn't until many years later that I learned that Mr. Davidson (a well-known local lawyer) graduated from Lorain High School with my Dad's Uncle Ben).

Since the fathers in our neighborhood were mostly blue collar workers, I don't think the ad below for Oak Hills Country Club would have interested any of them. The ad promoting New Memberships appeared in the Lorain Journal back on March 29, 1963.

The ad is interesting, with the private club accepting "a limited number of memberships for 1963." The prices weren't cheap; adjusted for inflation, the "Man & Wife Golf Membership" would run about $2,113 bucks today.

Memberships for the swimming pool and cabana club were separate from that of the country club. And the Oak Hills Restaurant and Bar was operated as a Supper Club (meaning it was only open at dinner and was a little more formal that the average beanery, with a limited menu).
The whole thing kind of reminds me of the movie Caddyshack. Even the Membership prices included a special rate for clergy, reminding me of the Bishop in that movie who gets struck by lightning.
Anyway, if there were any golfers among the dads on Skyline Drive, I'm guessing that they would have more likely golfed at Emerald Valley, just a few minutes away on Leavitt Road.

7 comments:

Mike M said...

The restaurant, of course, eventually became the Brown Derby. Mom and Dad would take my brothers and I out to eat there on special occasions. I always thought it was cool to be able to watch the golfers tee off on hole #1 if you were lucky enough to get a table by the window. As a side note, my wife and I had our first date at the Brown Derby almost 35 years ago.

Don Hilton said...

You can tell the golfer in the ad sank a few at the 19th Hole first because he's smiling.

As a youngster I (definitely "non-member" material) caddied some at our local goobersmoocher club. I would say Caddyshack is barely an exaggeration. Though, no good-lookers never no moves on me!

There, the eatery also overlooked the 1st hole that featured a good-sized water hazard about 30 yards off the woman's tee. It was amazing how many otherwise good golfers would choke and plop one in the pond just because they knew there might be others watching. Lots of people only played the back nine for that reason.

Anonymous said...

First time I ever jumped off the high board was at Oak Hills pool. After climbing the ladder my buddy told me there's only one way down and you can't use the ladder, not wanting to be a giant wuss I pinched my nose and jumped ...a lot different from jumping in off the side of the pool. Looking back, that was a nice facility even after the pool closed and the name changed to Lorain Country Club (I always liked Oak Hills better). Golf club, tennis club and Brown Derby. Later on in the 90's they offered a limited golf membership for $100/yr but you had to a small fee to play. I took advantage of that for a few years and played a lot of golf there. I also joined the tennis club...great fun in the winter at a reasonable price. Living off Cooper Foster I was only about 10 minutes away and with Daylight savings time could get in 9-holes after work easy! A few years ago I was back in Lorain in April and went back to play for old times sake but they weren't open yet ...too bad. Todd

Anonymous said...

Off the high-dive...

Did you take your breath as you leapt?

I made that mistake the first time I did such a thing and almost ran out of air underwater.

Gotta do it on the way down!

Anonymous said...

We golfed all over Ohio in the 70s. Was so so inexpensive ,was fun to find me golf courses.....
Those prices sound expensive back in the day...like I said new courses were fun..

Anonymous said...

Great post , thanks very interesting...thanks again

Anonymous said...

Great read. So true, thanks