Friday, March 17, 2023

Oberlin Inn St. Patrick's Day Ad – March 1973

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Are you having corned beef today? Fifty years ago, you might have decided to celebrate with a special meal at Oberlin Inn, with its famous Buffet, "the Best Buy in the County." The above ad ran in the Journal back on March 15, 1973.

Of course, you won't be chowing down on corned beef at Oberlin Inn today. It was torn down in 2016 (which I documented in this 3-part series here, here and here) and replaced by the much swankier and modern The Hotel at Oberlin.

St. Patrick's Day has been celebrated on this blog almost every year since I began writing it back in 2009. And I devoted one post to my Irish heritage, and another to good ol' corned beef in a can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this has nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day,with it being a fun holiday and all.But whenever it rolls around I break out the classic horror flick, Halloween III.The story involves an Irish toy maker who makes masks that kill the wearer of the mask.The name of his company is Silver Shamrock Novelties.They even have a cool little jingle based on the nursery rhyme "London Bridge Is Falling Down."Each passing day that gets closer to Halloween is counted down in the jingle:
"228 days till Halloween, Halloween, Halloween.
228 days till Halloween,Silver Shamrock."

Harrison Baumbaugh said...

MY theory of you know your getting old when...>you see a hotel being torn down and replaced 3 times same location .....time marches on

Don Hilton said...

My favorite, true, St. Patty's Day story.

When I was in college, the day was a HUGE excuse to celebrate (of course) and the dorm I was living in always threw an enormous party. Flyers up, D.J., the whole shebang.

I was in the bathroom on St. Patty's morning, brushing my teeth when a friend, Birhe, at the next sink, asked me what it was all about. He was Ethiopian, you see, and it was his very first encounter with the holiday.

I told him a little of the background of the day and ended up by saying, somewhat teasingly, "Y'know, on St. Patrick's Day they say everyone is Irish."

"Even me?"

"Yes, Birhe, even you."

He looked at himself in the mirror and said, in all seriousness, "Funny, I don't look Irish."