Monday, December 5, 2022

House at 1033 E. Erie Ave. Revisited – Dec. 1962

When I saw the photograph of the wintery scene above in the December 14, 1962 Journal, I knew I had written about that house before on this blog. The fine, old mansion at 1033 E. Erie Avenue on Lorain's east side is instantly recognizable to anyone who travels that stretch of U.S. Route 6.

As the caption notes, "The home of Charles Martin, 1033 E. Erie Ave., with its surrounding blanket of snow makes a typical Christmas card scene. The black clouds in the background failed to dump the heavy snow which was predicted for Thursday night. The home is the Atty. Charles Adams homestead."

Naturally, I wanted to see what I had written about the house before. But when I used the 'search' function on my own blog, I couldn't locate the old post among the more than 3,500 old ones. I had neglected to include the address of the house in my "Then & Now" photo comparison – making it hard to find. But I found it eventually (click here to visit that 2010 post).

Anyway, here is a vintage photo circa 1903 of the house from that 2010 post.

And here's a modern shot courtesy of the Lorain County Auditor website.

On my original post, it was noted that in 1903 the house was owned by Geo. L. Glitsch, who was employed by the law firm of Thompson, Glitsch & Cinniger. The 1962 photo caption refers to it as the Charles Adams homestead.
I found a reference in an October 17, 1922 Lorain Journal to attorney Charles Adams of Lorain. Maybe he sold his house to a fellow attorney, Geo. Glitsch. 

2 comments:

Don Hilton said...

Charles Adams was a very well-known former county prosecutor turned defense attorney who worked many of Lorain County's murder cases.

Thru the 1940s and early 1950s, as a defense lawyer, Adams was instrumental in forcing the county to revamp its jury selection to provide pools that represented the ethnic and racial make-up of the county.

Anonymous said...

All that cheap looking modern day vynil doesn't do that house justice today.I liked it better back in time.