Friday, December 16, 2022

Delis Bros. Christmas Ad – Dec. 6, 1962

After a couple of days of truly wretched-looking Santa's, here's one that's a little more palatable to close out the week. This ad for Delis Bros. Furniture ran in the Journal back on December 6, 1962.

The Santa illustration is bold, simple and modern – just like what you would find in those Harry Volk clip art books. We had a whole collection of them dating back from the 1950s at my old job, and I used them a lot, giving my work a real retro vibe.

Courtesy Bart Solenthaler and Flickr.com
But getting back to Delis Bros. I did a previous post about the business back here.

Looking at the December 1962 ad, it's kind of interesting that specific styles of furniture are promoted, such as Early American. Does anyone still decorate their home in that style? Mom used to make fun of it, saying that all it took to make something Early American (such as a lamp) was to slap an eagle decal on it.
Mom's preference was French Provincial, which never made a whole lot of sense to me since she was German. But that's what she liked, and she researched it carefully (I've found a paperback in the basement about it.) She made sure everything in the house was coordinated and fit in the design scheme.
As for my taste in furniture, I guess you could call it Early Levine's.

4 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

We had furniture from Delis Brothers, and some of those items look awfully familiar.

Anonymous said...

Once I reached an certain age, the only style of furniture that matters to me is comfort.
I don't much care about the visual style anymore.

Buster said...

Early American was also strikingly uncomfortable, even more than the Scandinavian modern stuff my parents favored. That colonial look also encompassed such things as spinning wheels. I had relatives with one of those; I had no idea what it was at the time.

Boilerplant said...

Mom loved the dinette sets for the kitchen. We would get a new one when we were only down to 4 good chairs. The feet or gliders on the bottom would wear out or we would tear a hole in the padding. The tables were bullet proof and they would end up in the basement for use during basement parties or to fold clothes or for us kids to set up the train set. When we cleaned out the basement I had 6 tables and all types of mismatched chairs.