Saturday, December 24, 2022

Holiday Editions of Journal Comics – Dec. 24, 1962

While growing up in the 1960s, I always looked forward to the arrival of the Journal, because I wanted to see what was happening in the comics. Li'l Abner (and its strip-within-a-strip "Fearless Fosdick," was my favorite, but I also enjoyed the other comics, especially Gasoline Alley.

But at Christmas time, the plot lines in many comics (as well as the gag-a-day strips) ground to a halt – allowing the cartoonists and artists a short holiday break, and a chance to wish their readers a Merry Christmas. 

Below is the Christmas Eve edition of the Journal's comic pages in 1962. Many of you will recognize the familiar positions on the page of their favorite strips (such as Blondie at the top of its page), as well as the other features on the page such as Tell Me Why, and the daily crossword puzzle.

Note that Al Capp used his Christmas Eve strip in Li'l Abner to wish "Merry Christmas" to list a roster of "those who made 1962 a merry year." This included other comic strip artists (such as Milt Caniff, Walt Kelly and Charles Schulz); comedians (Bob Hope, Buddy Hackett, Jonathan Winters, Allan Sherman, Bob Newhart, Jackie Gleason); writers (John Steinbeck); actors (Cary Grant, Peter Sellers); and a host of others, including Fidel Castro.

Some strips incorporated Christmas into their plot lines or gags (such as the charming The Ryatts). Others (like Bunion and Mickey Mouse) ignored it entirely. 

(Click on each for a larger, readable version.)

As a bonus, since the Journal didn't publish on Christmas Day, the paper included the Dec. 25th comic pages in that same Christmas Eve edition.

Looking at these pages, I only have one thing to say: How come shapely Lolly's little brother looks just like Beetle Bailey?
I also just remembered that as a kid, I once asked my father what his favorite comic strip was. His answer? B.C. I guess he appreciated its laugh-a-day format and slightly intellectual slant that often required a little bit of thinking to get the gag. 

3 comments:

Don Hilton said...


Oh, how I miss the funnies: Even Mary Worth.

And I had forgotten about Dick Tracy's adventures in space.
Thanks for the reminder.

For those unfamiliar:
https://dicktracy.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Coupe

Merry, Merry!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

This is the first time I actually read MARY WORTH, ON STAGE, JUDGE PARKER , and REX MORGAN.

Don Hilton said...

I read them all, once I was old enough to understand them.

My brothers and I used to keep track of (and mock) how long it took Mary Worth to tell a story.

In later years, the strip was just two panels per day. It took *months* for some lady to find out that her man was a'smoochin' someone else. Though, often, it turned out to be a simple misunderstanding.

Then, Mary would have her chance to spend a week or two pontificating about how important communication was in a relationship!