Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Log Cabin Inn in Bay View

While researching old Ohio cabin camps recently, I came across this vintage postcard (above) of Log Cabin Inn, which according to the postcard was located on Route 2, 7 miles west of Sandusky. (I recognized it immediately as the forerunner to Angry Trout Restaurant in Bay View, which the spouse and I had visited once in the 1990s.)

Here's a vintage ad from the 1958 Sandusky City Directory (below).

I also found a later postcard of Log Cabin Inn, which supposedly dates from the 1960s (below).

Since it'd been a while since I was out in Bay View, I wasn't sure if the Angry Trout was still in business or if some other restaurant had taken over.
Apparently the property had been for sale at some point, since Loopnet.com still has a photo (below) of the restaurant from its days as Angry Trout Restaurant. It lists the building as being built in 1929.
Anyway, the main reason for my visit to Bay View on Friday was to grab a photo of it for an easy "then and now" post. Imagine my surprise when, after driving back and forth along the main drag a few times, I finally realized the building was gone (below).
My photo roughly approximates the view on the 1960s postcard. You can recognize some of the same trees and houses.
So what happened? I'm guessing that the building didn't sell, and it was easier to demolish it than continue to maintain it. There were some online mentions of the place getting a little weedy in 2012, and another blog mentions that it was already an empty lot by October 2014.
****
If you'd like to know a little bit more about Log Cabin Inn and the people who ran it, be sure to visit this link on the Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay blog. Dorene (who writes the blog) has a personal connection with Log Cabin Inn: her Aunt Bertie was a co-owner and operator of the restaurant for twenty-four years.
The always interesting Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay blog uses the genealogical and historical information gleaned from grave markers and tombstones to shed light on unsung individuals and local history.

No comments: