In early April 1957, Urban Miller's Supper Club changed hands.
As reported in the Chronicle-Telegram of April 6, 1957, "The Supper Club, one of this area's popular dine and dance spots and now
under new management, plans its grand opening for Apr. 14. Operated for many years
by Urban Miller, the nightclub changed hands when Mrs. Elsie Jacobs of Elyria
sold it to Albert Tuma and Charles Student. Tuma is the owner of the well known
tavern bearing his name on Center Ridge Rd., while Student was formerly
connected with Ludwig's Drive-In, corner Lorain and Clague Rds. Miller, from
last reports reaching this desk, has purchased a home in Florida and plans to
spend most of the months of the year there."
Indeed the 1957 Elyria City Directory listing for the business was Tuma's Supper Club.
Here's an ad that ran in the Chronicle-Telegram on March 7, 1958.
However, the business would soon change ownership again.
The Chronicle-Telegram of December 12, 1958 stated, "Mrs. Sally Ely, Washington Ave., today announced purchase of
the Supper Club, 2213 Lake Ave., after several weeks of negotiations. The new owner took formal possession of the property today. Official
opening will be about the third week in January, Mrs. Ely announced, and the
Supper Club is to be renamed the Old Ely Stagecoach Inn. Redecorating is scheduled
for this spring, with the building to be remodeled in keeping with the name. The
property was leased from Urban Miller, and the business was purchased from Mrs.
Elsie Jacobs, whc. was represented by Atty, Joseph Ujhelyi, Lorain. Manager for the Old Ely Stagecoach Inn will be John "Scrubby”
Wozniak, who worked for 14 years with the All Nations Club, Lorain, and who has
handled its management for the past three years while Joe Maiden has been
handicapped by illness. Dancing and holiday parties will be featured at the Inn,
the new owner said, and plans call for emphasis on quality of meals in an
effort to capture the "dine out" trade. Mrs. Ely for I5 years was at the Northwood Inn. Broad St.,
and five years ago sold it, retiring from the tavern business. Her husband,
Arthur died Nov. 4."
Apparently the Old Ely Stagecoach Inn did not last enough to make it into the city directory. The 1959 edition listed the property (except for Miller's Produce) as vacant. And the 1960 Elyria City Directory had the property once again listed as the Supper Club, and managed by Frank Jacobs.
By October 1961, the whole property was offered for lease in a series of ads that ran in the Chronicle, including a 7 room house, the Supper Club building, a barn and a vegetable stand.
The 1962 Elyria City Directory was the last to include a listing for the Supper Club.
In the 1963 edition, the property was listed as the Triangle Bar and run by John & Mrs. Claudia Miskow. In subsequent city directories, the property was no longer listed.
Urban Miller passed away in late September 1963. Even in retirement, he was the owner and operator of a produce market in West Hollywood, Florida.
Next: the rest of the story and the property today