Monday, March 11, 2013

Kelly's Jet System Hamburgers – 1963

St. Patrick's Day is almost here, so here's a St. Pat-themed ad for Kelly's Jet System Hamburgers that ran in the Lorain Journal on March 15, 1963 – 50 years ago this week.

What's that? You don't remember that particular hamburger chain?

I gotta admit, I didn't either – even though the fast food outlet was on North Ridge Road right across from the O'Neil - Sheffield Center.

Kelly's Hamburger Drive-in first appeared in the 1963 Lorain City Directory at 1390 N. Ridge Road – but not for long. After only a few years, the outlet was listed as a Casey's Drive-in in the 1966 directory.

And then, by the time of the 1970 directory, the building was listed as vacant. It would take until the 1974 book for another tenant to take over: Mary's Ice Cream Parlor.

The former Kelly's/Casey's building is still there today (below), with a new address – 42675 N. Ridge. The building retains some of the Kelly's diamond-shaped graphics.

****
There's not too much about the Kelly's Hamburger system on the internet. This Flickr® site included the vintage photo below of a Kelly's outlet in Warren, Michigan.

And this Flickr set includes a vintage Kelly's ad.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yet another piece of Lorain-icana I'd forgotten until you brought it forward; thanks, Dan!

Anonymous said...

In the mid to late 1990's, the location was home to a Chinese Restaurant, who's name I cannot recall. I ate there many times, and looking back now, you could tell the place was made as a burger joint. The same "counter" was still there from the hey day.

Hosta guy said...

Worked there late 1962 and early 1963. Fun times.

Randy Hester said...

I worked at Kelly's in late 62 and half of 63. Not sure my memory is right but I think I was at the location on Peachtree

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember the hamburger stand on E 28th st in the early 1960s. It was in 1800 block on north side of street. Effy’s maybe ?

Dan Brady said...

I checked the 1964 city directory I have at home. Effy's Drive In was at 1869 E. 28th Street. David Bushman was the manager.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. We moved to South Lorain from WV in1959, I six years old. Could never find anyone else who remembered it. Enjoy reading your blog from time to time. Great job.