Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wilson's Camp - Then & Now

While doing some research at the Avon Lake Library last week, I happened to be thumbing through a battered photocopy of the 1941 Directory of Avon Lake Village and I saw an interesting full-page ad. It read:

WILSON CAMP
CABINS, ROOMS AND TRAILER CAMPS
Home Cooked Food
The Only State Approved Trailer Camp in Avon Lake
32485 LAKE ROAD AVON LAKE, OHIO
PHONE 35798
18 Miles from Cleveland Public Square on Route 2 & 6
Beach Privileges
AD. R. WILSON, Manager

Since trailer camps date back to the early days of auto travel, I figured wherever this place was, it must be long gone by now.
Elsewhere in the directory there were a few photos of some Avon Lake businesses. To my surprise, one of them was labeled "WILSON'S CAMP, AVON LAKE, OHIO."
Here's the photo. 


It looked only vaguely familiar to me, but if you're from Avon Lake, I'm sure you recognize it as the former Herb's On the Lake restaurant and the current Jake's on the Lake. (Jake's website has some nice vintage photographs of their building as well.)
Driving by there to grab my 'now' shot this past weekend, I circled it a few times. The huge, wide open lot behind it could have easily accommodated cabins, etc.
Here's my 'now' shot from last weekend. 
A Lorain Creamery ad in the same 1941 directory stated, "You will find us in your community at Wilson's Camp Stop 52 Lake Road."

Anyway, it's always nice to see a vintage roadside business still thriving on US 6.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

My father owned this store/bar, then called Stephen's Market at 32485 Lake Road. At one point there was a soda fountain down in the front porch area. The Greyhound bus stop across the street was actually Stop 52 1/2. I spent the first 6 years of my life living in the upstairs apartment...There were also 2 cottage-type buildings and barn on the property which were 'off limits' when we we little. My father built the retaining wall to the creek to the right of the property (which is now filled-in).
Lots of stories to tell about this place.
Stephanie Lehota Thiel

Dan Brady said...

Hi Stephanie! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your memories about your father's business! I appreciate it! It's very hard to research some of these businesses and it's great when a family member is able to provide valuable historical insight!

That's interesting that you remember the cottages! That must have been some place when it was in full swing as Wilson's Camp.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan, love the old photos! My husband's Great Grandfather's name was Eugene Herrmann ( of Herman Drive in Avon Lake), and he built that building that is now Jakes Restaurant. I believe it was 1895, and it was called The Tourist Inn. His family lived upstairs for some time until he built another home across the street. They owned many acres of farmland, and we still have the large cast iron bell they used to call the farm hands in for lunch. He eventually sold the business, and much of the farm acreage, but my inlaws still live on the remaining lakefront property. My husband's Grandmother, Jeanne Herrmann Thellman is 96 years old, and has lived on the property her entire life! She has some amazing stories of Avon Lake History! Thanks, Julie Schneider

Anonymous said...

I grew up on AvonPoint 61 years ago. Iremember when there were groceries and a small bar onthe right side of the building. Nice selectionof candy up by the check out counter always.
In the back one of the buldings was used for someone that worked on cars. I do not remember who or thename of the building.