Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Don't forget... the trick or treat times for Amherst, Avon Lake, Lorain, Sheffield Lake and Vermilion is Saturday, October 31 from 6:00 to 7:30. So be sure to stock up on candy and other goodies for the kids. (Or, do as my older brother once suggested. Put an empty bowl on your front porch with a "Take one" sign in it - and forget about it!)

Remember when you used to get full-size candy bars during trick or treat? What an assortment we used to get: Clark bars, Oh Henry, Baby Ruth, Chunky, Mallo Cups, Sweet Tarts, Slo Poke, Nestlé's Crunch, Turkish Taffy, Hershey bars, etc. Now the poor kids get the crummy miniature versions which are little more than a mouthful.
I hate to say it, but I don't participate in Sheffield Lake's trick or treat night any more. In ten years at our home on US 6, we've had exactly one kid... and he wasn't even wearing a costume! About nine years ago, I happened to be sitting on my front porch (staking out trick or treaters) and I watched this kid roller blade up our driveway. After I handed him some candy, he took off. Needless to say, I was impressed... he must have covered a lot of turf that night!

Oh well. Happy Halloween!

No comments: