Thursday, March 26, 2015

More Sheffield Lake Fire Department History

2015 is the year of the big Sheffield Bicentennial, so I'm trying to post historical content about Sheffield Lake whenever I find it.

Since my post last month about the Sheffield Lake's Emergency Squad ambulance, I found this photo in the archives at the Domonkas Branch of the Lorain Public Library. It's a formal group portrait of what I'm assuming is the fire department, posing in front of the old station on E. Lake Road.

I'm hoping that someone will see this post and provide some names, as the vintage photo was not labeled or dated.

I also recently found two photos with a corresponding caption on microfilm showing a proposed Sheffield Lake Fire Station. The photos appeared in the Lorain Journal on August 7, 1957.

The caption read, "NEW FIRE STATION – Discussing plans for a proposed new fire station for Sheffield Lake yesterday were (seated), from left, Mayor James C. Markley, Clarence Huebmer, assistant fire chief; Peter Cifranic, fire chief and William Kennedy, chairman. Standing, from left, are Sam Wilson, Charles Miller and Warren Ruff. The proposed station, pictured at top, will depend on a $110,000 bond issue for land, building, truck and equipment. The plans will be presented to council. A public meeting is to be held Aug. 14 at 8 p.m. in St. Teresa School on Harris Rd. to discuss plans and specifications.

I need some help from someone knowledgable about Sheffield Lake history on this as well. The photo of the proposed fire station sure looks different than what is there now (below). I'm not sure if the design was completely changed, or if the building was later modified.


No comments: