Friday, March 6, 2015

First Evangelical Lutheran Church – Last Looks

Since the planned demolition of First Lutheran Church last week was postponed last week due to the bad weather, I had a chance to snap some last shots this past weekend.

With the weather warming up, I'm guessing the demolition will be back on track soon.

Considering how bad I feel about this tragedy – and I hadn't attended services there since the mid-1960s – I can't imagine the pain that its current congregation and the people that depend on it for social services are feeling.

I was frankly surprised how big the church campus was; it's very deceiving seeing only the side that faces Sixth Street.

With the original Lorain High School long-gone, and soon First Lutheran, that part of town will have changed significantly in the last ten years – like much of Lorain.

3 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Man....THAT is messed up.

Anonymous said...

It is sad. The church entrance alcove served as shelter for me. The school bus would pick up East siders and deposit those going to LHS and then continue on Washington to drop the Lorain Catholic kids. I and others would "hang" waiting for the school doors to open Smoking cigarettes and all kinds of things. I agree Alan, messed up. Rae

Wireless.Phil said...

Its all down now. Nothing but loading and clearing the land.
Took 2 photos out of my window this morning from the 9th floor.
Yes, the outside of the window was filthy.

I wrote Bruce and the Chronicle last week asking about the corner stone, normally in the north west corner, but never heard back.

I wonder what surprise might be in it?