It's interesting how Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips has made a recent comeback.
Just a few years ago, there was only one store left in the entire seafood chain, located in Cuyahoga Falls. As of this writing, there are four, with a location in Lakewood that I might just have to visit sometime.
Many Lorainites have pleasant memories of the restaurant on W. 21st Street across from Westgate Shopping Plaza. I've devoted two previous posts to it on this blog.
Back in the summer and fall of 1976, Arthur Treacher's had a great Tuesday special that it ran for months: "a complete meal of fish & chips, creamy cole slaw & choice of beverage for only $1.59.
But the chain was also experimenting with new menu items. Do you remember the Krunch Pup™?As the ad above from the Sept. 9, 1976 Journal notes, it was an 100% beef hotdog dipped in a secret batter with the result that it had a "krunchy" outside. Although I love corn dogs, a hotdog with the Arthur Treacher batter coating sounds pretty good.
The restaurant had already introduced Chicken & Chips in August. Here's the ad that ran on August 21, 1976.
I don't know if either of these two offerings were a success.
Many fast food outlets today offer just about anything under the sun to draw in new customers, even if it means weakening their original brand. It's been many years since Arby's just pushed its trademark roast beef sandwiches. Perhaps Arthur Treacher's was ahead of its time.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see if the Krunch Pup or chicken eventually make it onto the current Arthur Treacher's menu.





I miss this; no one down here has even heard of it.
ReplyDeleteI can remember that my mom and I used to get their Tuesday special quite frequently.
ReplyDeleteIf I remember correctly Kenny Kings had a Tuesday special too. Todd