Beer has been a favorite topic on this blog since its beginning. I've written a lot about Old Dutch Beer, which for many years was Mom & Dad's favorite. They would even bring me a six pack of Old Dutch when they came down to Ohio State to visit me in the dorm. It was like having a little bit of home right in my mini-fridge.
It was in the dormitory that I soon realized that there were a lot of beers out there that I'd never heard of. Just as we had our regional favorites in the northern part of the state – especially those brewed in Cleveland – Southern Ohio had their preferred choices too.
Hudepohl was one of those beers I wasn't familiar with. It was founded, and is still brewed, in Cincinnati. That's why it's strange to see a large ad for Hudepohl in the Lorain Journal on August 31, 1956.
I like the use of cartoons at the top of the ad. But it's odd to see the TV schedule for the Cincinnati Reds (here listed as Redlegs) in the lower right hand corner.
It's a neat campaign, positioning the beer as a golden brew because of its 14 K process. The golden theme is mirrored (literally) in these can designs that are similar to the one shown in the ad.
Another down state brew that I'd never heard of is Burger Beer, another Cincinnati favorite. And it too showed up in the
Lorain Journal in an ad on August 29, 1956.
I like that mascot. He reminds of the Monopoly guy.
It would seem that at least one ad campaign over the years would have to be based on the idea that Burger Beer goes well with burgers.
Oddly enough, Burger Beer ended up under Hudepohl ownership and for a time was Hudepohl's budget priced brand.
Today, Burger Beer is still around – sort of. Its logo is slapped seemingly as an afterthought on the back of cans of
Muskie Lager. Retail sales of Muskie Lager support Xavier University's varsity sports. But it's too bad that the classic Burger Beer bottle and can design isn't used.
Anyway, both of these down state beers showed up in the Journal right before Labor Day Weekend 1956.
Don't forget to stock up on your favorite beer – whether it's an up state or down state brand – to enjoy during this upcoming long weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment