Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Model Home at 796 Milan Avenue in Amherst

Back in the 1920s and 30s, a beautiful model home built with all the modern touches was a big event, and worthy of coverage in the Lorain Journal. It was a nice opportunity for some publicity not only for the builder, but for all of the contractors involved, even if the articles were similar to what the paper ran in the business section decades later.

The article below, which ran in the paper on September 12, 1930, shines the spotlight on a new home in Amherst built by the Rahl and Mueller Lumber Company of Lorain. Contractors and suppliers include the Lorain Crystal Ice Company, the Amherst Hardware Co., Lehman Electric and Radio Service, the Mancrief Furnace Co., the Carl L. Kashman Co. and the Brunk Machine and Forging Co.

The address of the house is listed in the article as 854 Milan Ave., but in the intervening years the numerical address is now 796. It's located across from Sandstone Village.

It's still a beautiful and unique home – in a city with a lot of historic Sears Homes – that retains all of its original charm. 

4 comments:

  1. Dan - I always appreciate how you illustrate these historical items with contemporary photos. I know it takes quite a bit of time, but the effort shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Buster! I appreciate your kind comment. In this case, getting the photo was a challenge. I was having trouble getting my photo from my moving car, especially with a tree in the way, so I had to turn in to Sandstone Village to turn around. As it turns out, the police were sitting there in the parking lot of the Village, slightly hidden, probably watching me and wondering why I was trying to get a photo of the house! They didn't pull me over though, thankfully.

      Delete
    2. That's good; posting from the clink would have been a first for you (I think).

      Delete
  2. Great info on a local house, right next to where my mother grew up. Next time you'll have to take a tour of the Sandstone Village grounds! Just let me know, and I'd be glad to walk you around.

    ReplyDelete