Monday, May 22, 2023

Death Records Can Be Fun: Don Hilton Talks About His Latest Book

You've read and enjoyed his humorous and whimsical comments here on the blog almost every day. But did you know that he's also a published author with eight books to his credit?

Of course, I'm talking about Don Hilton. He didn't grow up in Lorain County, but that hasn't stopped him from writing a few popular tomes with that theme, including Murders, Mysteries and History of Lorain County, Ohio 1824 - 1956 (which I wrote about here) and Dearly Departed Judges of Lorain County, Ohio 1824 - 2020.

Well, his seventh book came out last year, and I never got around to reviewing it. It's entitled (and it's a mouthful), "Early Death Records of Lorain County, Ohio: A Companion Guide • Probate Court: 1867 - 1908 • Coroner Inquests: 1878 - 1938."

As usual, Don and I met at the Lorain Public Library, so we could talk about the new book (and I could mooch a free, autographed copy).

So what was the idea behind this book?

"It was something to keep me busy during the Pandemic," explained Don.  "I hate to be bored. I had worked with the death records when I did the ‘Murder’ book, so I knew that they existed and how they were structured.
So Don had an idea. "To keep myself busy," he said, "I’ll transcribe the death records into an Excel sheet so that I, or anybody, could use it for research. And sort by what they died from, or where they died, or the location of their death, etc."
The probate records were available online, so he was able to work at home. Eventually, however, he needed to work with the original paper records – and that's when he realized that he had a lot of questions. As he explained in the Preface to the book: "How was it these records came to be? What was their reason for being? How was the data collected? Who was doing the recording? How were the records kept by the court and coroner related? How were they different?"
As a result, Don decided to write a book that would answer the above questions. Thus the book is a comprehensive guide to understanding the probate and coroner inquest volumes. For anyone doing family tree research in Lorain County, the book is an indispensable resource.
It's somewhat complicated trying to do research using Coroner's records and understanding them, and this book will help a lot. As Don notes, "Coroner’s records are kind of loosey-goosey – they might use ‘generally smashed’ as a cause of death; you’ve got to go look that up – someone was caught under a train."
I had two Brady relatives – my Great, Great Grandfather Brady, and one of his sons – that were both killed by trains in Ohio

"There were tons of people killed by trains," said Don. "In the wintertime, the only places that were cleared to walk were train tracks. 


"And while roads in Ohio were notorious for zigging and zagging, the train goes from here to there – the shortest distance. People walked the tracks, as well as streetcar tracks."


Don's book explains why there might be a record of one of my relative's train-related deaths and not the other. I told him I could have used this book thirty years ago when I was doing my family tree research and having nothing but problems.


But the book is here now and would be helpful to anyone researching their Lorain County and/or Ohio roots. It's written in Don's trademark style – light and fun.


"It’s not scholarly, laughed Don, "but it’s fact based.


"It’s kind of cool."


And what about the Lorain County Death Records Spreadsheet that Don was compiling that triggered the book? The spreadsheet is downloadable for free on his websitewhich also has links for the purchase of all of his books – including his latest, The Vanishing of A. E. Lehman, which just came out a few days ago.


The attractive cover design is by Kat Sikord Hilton (Don's wife)

8 comments:

Drew Penfield said...

Clearly I have not been paying enough attention because I did not make the connection between the Don Hilton in the comments and the books you have previously featured on the blog. I'll definitely have to order a couple.

Rick said...

The mention of walking on railroad tracks reminded me of an article I found in the Elyria Republican newspaper of May 1,1902 featuring my great grandfather. He was walking home one night after a few drinks and was crossing the east branch of the Black River when he encountered a Lake Shore Electric car heading in his direction. He stepped off the tracks to let the car pass and promptly fell 40 feet into the river. Luckily he landed in a sandy area of the river and only suffered a dislocated hip. However, he laid there all night calling for help until he was discovered the next morning. He claimed he thought that he was stepping off the tracks onto solid ground.

Dennis Thompson said...

One of my ancestral lines is the Roe family that settled in Huron county in 1823. I have the genealogy that was published for the family. At one point a woman moved away from Norwalk to be near her brother and her obituary states she was "frightened to death". I wish I knew more about that event.

Don Hilton said...

Daniel: Thanks for the very nice write-up. And a picture that makes me look not like an ax-murderer, too. Bonus!

Drew: I'll remember you when I'm rich and famous.

Rick: One of my great-great grandfathers (on the Hilton side) ran the wrong way when encountering a train on trestle and was squooshed. I'm happy yours survived. Um... for the record... drinks were involved in my story, too.

Dennis: Can you give me a name, death date, and location. Unusual deaths sometimes generated newspaper articles and there might be something in the newspaper archives. I'm happy to take a look!

Lisa said...

I read Don's "Murders, Mysteries and History of Lorain County, Ohio, 1824-1956." I was given a copy because everyone knows I like this sort of reading material. It was autographed by Don.
Interesting read. I was surprised at the level of lawlessness and poverty at that time. Also, the high level of infanticide. I recommend it!

Anonymous said...

The above post mentioned that they were surprised at the lawlessness and poverty back then.It is no different in todays world.There are lots of people living in poverty today thanks to the system.And the laws of today are skewered against the poor.Take Joe Biden for instance.He is willing to let the country go into default to punish all Americans yet he continually gives unlimited billions to fund the corrupt Ukraine war.Biden should be the president of Ukraine instead of the USA.

Don Hilton said...

Thanks, Lisa!

As far as the rest... There have been poverty and violence forever. It's systemic, part of the human condition, and has absolutely zip to do with politics. There are no "good-old-days" when it comes to crime.

In point of fact, the *worst* decades for murder in the history of Lorain County (when adjusted for population) were 1900-1909 and 1920-1929, when the republican party was firmly in control at national, regional, and local levels, and when prisons employed torture to rule-breakers and the death penalty was consistently applied.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying but isn't the death penalty supposed to make people think about doing bad crimes in the first place?I wouldn't call the death penalty murder.It is a much needed part of law and society.I personally think the death penalty isn't used enough in todays dangerous society.Take Lorain's infamous James Filiaggi murder case.This killer hunted down his wife and executed her in her neighbors house.If anybody is and was deserving of being executed by the death penalty it was this guy.