Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Bob Berstling, "Rocket Man" – August 1972


"Passing Scene" cartoonist Gene Patrick has been the subject of many blog posts over the years, even after he left his position at the Journal to launch his own business, Gene's Hobby Hub. Consequently, any article about Gene's store is of interest to me. 

This article about a rocket building contest that the store sponsored is special because one of the winners is a childhood friend of mine, Bob Berstling

Those of you who knew Bob might remember his nickname – "Rocket" or "Rocket Man" – and now I see that he really earned it.

I wrote about Bob back here when he passed away too young back in 2013. (Here's the link to his Morning Journal Legacy page.)

And speaking of links, here's another one that will take you back to a post about the funny time in my life when I was in a polka band with Bob called The Four Links, and how the band was a headliner at Chicken Manor.

3 comments:

Dennis Thompson said...

I think "Trombonist for a polka band at Chicken Manor" has got to go at the top of your resume!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

What he said!

Anonymous said...

I knew Rocket too. He live in Carmalita Court and I lived in Loretta court. Lots of baseball games in Carmalita and a few in the back field of AKHS.

Jeff Rash