Thursday, August 29, 2019

Old Dutch Beer Ad – August 29, 1969

Well, it’s been almost a year since I mentioned Old Dutch Beer on this blog, so here’s a long overdue frosty serving of my Dad's favorite beer.

It’s an ad that appeared in the Lorain Journal on August 29, 1969 – 50 years ago today.

It’s an interesting campaign. Market research must have shown that Old Dutch was popular with a lot of people’s fathers and/or grandfathers in Northeastern Ohio. Thus the shaming tone of the ad copy.

However, I don’t think the tactic worked then, and it certainly wouldn’t work now. Beer drinkers (except for me, of course) are more particular than ever as to what they pour down their gullet, in this era of craft brews.

Note that the Old Dutch ad makes a sly reference to our old pal Mabel of Carling’s Black Label Beer fame, with the unfair observation that some people choose their beer “because some pretty girl winks at them over the tube.” 
But while Old Dutch Beer is long gone, Black Label is still around – and that’s what’s in my fridge right now.
****
UPDATE (Nov. 10, 2021)
Here’s another 1969 Old Dutch Beer Ad. This one ran in the Journal two months after the one shown above, on October 24, 1969. It continues the ‘What was good beer for your father is good beer for you’ theme.


3 comments:

Buster said...

Did you make use of a time machine to procure the Black Label? I had no idea it is still available.

Dan Brady said...

Hi Buster, it's still around, I think I bought it at Drug Mart, or Dave's in Cleveland. The label looks much the same as the original but it has a big "Carling Canada" logo on it, making it look like an import (maybe that's the idea).

Mike M said...

I'll stick to my Miller High Life..........the champagne of beers!