Monday, August 5, 2019

Cedar Point Postcards Revisited

Last Friday’s post about Berardi’s and their famous French Fries brought up many memories of going to Cedar Point as a kid in the 60s and 70s.

Today I’m posting some Cedar Point postcards from that era, since that's the time frame for the park that I and many of the people who read this blog feel most nostalgic about. Most of the postcards are ones I haven’t seen or posted before.

It was an exciting time for the park, as it was on the comeback trail from a time in the 1950s when it appeared that it was going to close. Patterning itself after Disneyland, it added bigger and better rides until it evolved into the world-class amusement park it is today.

That’s the beauty of Cedar Point. Everyone has their own special memories of it, from going there with their families as a kid; with their friends in high school; with dates; or with the spouse and/or families and friends as an adult. The park is always changing; we may not always like the current version of the park the best, but someone else inevitably does.

But even though I’ve been there many times over the decades, the Cedar Point I like best is the one that my parents took us to, when it was the high point of the summer. I’m getting teary-eyed as I write this – so I’d better post those vintage postcards.

The great Card Cow website always has a nice selection of Cedar Point postcards for sale. Here are a few of them to start this shindig. There’s even one featuring Jungle Larry himself.

And here are some postcards, culled mainly from Ebay.
This “Greetings” postcard from 1962 caught my eye, because of the tiny piece of clip art of a gal on an inflatable beach toy. We have that same piece of Harry Volk clip art in our art files at work, from 1956.
****
I’ve written about Cedar Point many times in the last ten years. In fact, my 3-part series on “Visions of Cedar Point 1966” is one of the most visited on this blog. Click here to visit all the posts about Cedar Point, and when you scroll down to the bottom, be sure to click on the Older Posts link in the lower right hand corner to see the rest of them.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Thanks for the memories... it's a special place to everyone who grew up in northern ohio.