Monday, May 20, 2019

New Bridge for Mill Hollow – 1964

While scrolling around on old newspaper microfilm at the Ritter Public Library in Vermilion, I found this little item that would be of interest to anyone who grew up loving Mill Hollow.

The photo appeared in the Vermilion Photojournal on May 20, 1964 – 55 years ago today. It shows the old, single-lane bridge that used to span the Vermilion River near the entrance to the park. It was in the process of being replaced at that time.

Here’s a photo of the current bridge from yesterday.

And here’s a shot of the current bridge courtesy of the Lorain County Metro Parks.

The year 1964 was a big one for Mill Hollow. Although the park opened in July 1960, the restored Mill Hollow House did not open until July 1964. I’ll have more on that event next month.

****
Mill Hollow has been a favorite topic on this blog, which is appropriate, since the park is still one of my favorite places on the planet.

The well-remembered, original steep hill leading in and out of the park was the subject of this post, and I did a “Then & Now” of the Mill Hollow house here.

I also wrote about the Mill Hollow badger here, and posted autumn photos of the park in 2011, 2014 and 2018.


1 comment:

Col. Matt Nahorn said...

Dan, I can send you a few photos of the bridge that even pre-dated that one :) Let me know