Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Oldest Home in Avon – May 1966

Several of my posts in the last few days have been about historic Avon, and here’s one last entry to close out the topic for now. It's about the oldest home in the city, located at 2940 Stoney Ridge Road.

The photo and caption ran in the Lorain Journal on May 10, 1966.
A plaque mounted on the fence post notes that it is the William Cahoon House, circa 1825. Cahoon was Avon’s first settler.
The avonhistory.org website (here) provides some history of the house.
According to this article by Kevin Martin on the Morning Journal website from August 13, 2018, the City of Avon was considering purchasing the historic home to preserve it and put it to civic use as a multi-use facility or welcome center. (I’m not sure what the status is of that proposal but I think it’s a great idea.)
Anyway, I can understand why the Journal photographer decided to photograph the back of the house in 1966. It’s not easy to get a good photo of the front, with all of the trees and brush.
Here’s my shot from a Saturday morning a few weeks ago. It required several back-and-forth trips along Stoney Ridge, but at least I didn’t get run in by Avon’s finest for my guerrilla photography.

1 comment:

Col. Matt Nahorn said...

This is quite an historic house and a real treasure for not only Avon but the whole County. I had the opportunity to visit once and received a brief tour by Mrs. Fischer. Thanks for featuring it here.