Friday, June 29, 2018

Old Dutch Beverage Ad – June 12, 1919

You probably noticed that the heading for this post said “Old Dutch Beverage” instead of Beer. That’s because the ad (from the June 12, 1919 Lorain Times-Herald) was promoting the Prohibition-era non-alcoholic Old Dutch beverage.

Old Dutch Beer – “The Good Beer” – was brewed in Findlay, Ohio at the Krantz Brewing Company and dated back to the early 1900s. The ’new' Old Dutch beverage was still made by the Krantz people (now called the Krantz Products Company) but was now promoted as “pure, healthful, appetizing and nutritious.”

I wonder why they didn’t just call it “The Good Beverage”?

Anyway, as long as we’re talking Old Dutch, I might as well post another ad that I recently found. This one is a little newer and is from the Lorain Journal of June 6, 1969 (below).

Maybe this campaign isn’t as clever as the ‘mangled syntax’ one, but at least it’s accurate. 
It was my father’s beer all right, and I did drink it eventually. My parents would bring me a six-pack when they visited me at my dorm at Ohio State.

****
UPDATE (June 15, 2019)
Here’s another ad from that 1969 campaign. It ran in the Journal on May 9, 1969 and probably served as the introductory ad to the new campaign.


No comments: