Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Half-Days Coming to Masson – June 5, 1969

Masson as it looked when it opened in 1959.
Back in the late 1950s, Lorain’s west side was experiencing a boom as farmland gave way to new homes for young, middle-class families.

Since many of these families had young children, Masson Elementary was built – opening in time for the 1959-60 school year. Masson Junior High followed in the fall of 1966.

Unfortunately, there still was a problem of overcrowded classrooms. As a creative solution, the decision was made to schedule half-day sessions at Masson Elementary.

The plan was explained in the article below, which appeared in the Lorain Journal on June 5, 1969.

****
I remember those half-day sessions well, as they took place when I was in fifth grade in Mrs. Grego’s class. The main thing I remember is that half of my classmates that I knew from first grade to fourth were suddenly M.I.A. I seem to recall that it was mainly the bunch that lived over in the Sherwood Allotment area.
By the time sixth grade rolled around, the new addition to Masson Elementary was open, with its newfangled movable classroom walls. While these walls provided some flexibility, it also made it easy to hear what was going on in adjacent classrooms.
Today of course, all traces of Masson Elementary (as well as the junior high) have been erased, and replaced by grass.

1 comment:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I never knew there was a Masson Elementary; I thought there was just the junior high ( which, as everyone knows, was nowhere near as cool as Hawthorne!)