Friday, June 15, 2018

Father’s Day Ad Mystery – Solved?

Back in 2013, I posted the Father’s Day ad above for Hart’s Jewelry Company. The 1954 ad promoted the Shavex electric shaver, and featured an unidentified model who I referred to as a Marilyn Monroe look-alike.

It bugged me that I couldn’t identify the model, who I assumed was an actress. Since Der Bingle (Bing Crosby) was associated with Shavex, I speculated that perhaps one of his Hollywood pals did the ads as a favor. But I was unable to come up with anybody.
Fast forward to a few months ago.

I was watching a Kirk Douglas movie (Ace in the Hole) that I’d never seen before, when I noticed that the female lead looked strangely familiar. “THAT’S HER!” I exclaimed as I practically did a spit-take with my morning coffee.

At least to me, the woman in the Shavex ad looks like the woman in the movie: Jan Sterling. They both had those sad eyes and distinctive, narrow nose.
Need more convincing? Here are a few glamour shots of Jan for your enjoyment and/or perusal.

Jan Sterling could really change her looks with a simple tilt of her head or a different hairdo. If you Google her name, you’ll find that she looks like a different person in every photo. That’s why it’s so difficult to know for sure if it’s her in the ad.
Anyway, Jan Sterling was in my one of my favorite John Wayne non-Westerns, The High and the Mighty. You can see her a few times in the movie’s trailer.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Gee, and here I thought the model was Rosemary Clooney!

Dan Brady said...

It was a good guess!

DH said...

I dunno, Dan.
I'm sorta thinking maybe it might be Shirley Jones...

Dan Brady said...

Hmm.. I think Shirley was a little too young for that ad (she was only 20 at that time and not even making movies yet, plus she was more of an ingenue than a blonde bombshell when she was starting out). But I guess I haven’t made a compelling enough case that it was Jan Sterling. I wish I could find a photo of Jan smiling the same way as the woman in the Shavex ad.

DH said...

"ingenue" = great word. Thanks for using it!