Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Burger Chef Grand Opening – April 25, 1968

Fifty years ago (has it really been that long?), Burger Chef was about to open its first location in the Lorain area (see ad above). Actually, it was arguably closer to Elyria, since it was out there on Route 254 near Route 57.

At that time, Elyria's Burger Chef outlet on Lodi Street was already open – so it probably made sense to slowly branch out from it.

Lorain's W. 28th Street restaurant wouldn't hold its Grand Opening until October 1968 (see ad at left).

Burger Chef has been a favorite topic on this blog since 2009. I've done a variety of posts on the largely forgotten burger chain, including a few then-and-nows.

While I was familiar with the one on 28th Street in Lorain (a high school girlfriend worked there), I don’t think I ever visited the one on North Ridge Road (State Route 254).

The North Ridge Road store continued to appear in the Lorain City Directory until the 1977 edition, when its listing was briefly replaced by Brennan’s Restaurant. By the time of the 1978 directory, the location was taken over by Kenny King’s.

Today, the store in Elyria has been torn down. Lorain's 28th Street store (below) is boarded up and looking a little worse than the last time I photographed it.

Happily, the North Ridge Road location that hosted Kentucky Fried Chicken for many years before it closed is now the home of Cathy's Ice Cream.

For some incrediburgible Burger Chef fun, be sure to visit the terrific Kyle's Burger Chef Memories website. It's been serving up a lot of nostalgic fun since 2009.

Vintage cup currently on Ebay

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My neighborhood pals and I would go on long bike ride adventures that would take us from central Lorain out to the Burger Chef for lunch on 254 then down 57 to Oakwood Park to ride our bikes down the big hill (not sure why or how it was there) then back home. Quite a loop. That's the only time I can remember eating at BC. Back then any fast food was a treat and tasted great! Todd

Dennis Thompson said...

When I went back to college at LCCC in the early 1980s, there was a mini burger joint in the cafeteria. I'm thinking it was Burger Chef but I'm not sure.

Anonymous said...

Lccc used to have Hardee's in the '80s.

Mike Kozlowski said...

The Hardees' at LCCC was pretty good, but when I was going to school there I'd treat myself at least a couple times a week to Midway Oh-Boy - had JUST enough time between classes.

Mike

Wireless.Phil said...

Hardees is still around, just not hear.
Google news search for "Hardees"